Search: Posts made by: Dave Walsh[_2_]
Forum: Soaring May 24th 20, 01:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Walsh[_2_]
2020 Accidents & Insurance, usa

OK, so there are accidents out there following premature
release of (aero)tow but one might expect the pilot to fly the
plane neatly to the accident site, not to spin-in?
There are plenty of...
Forum: Soaring May 22nd 20, 11:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Walsh[_2_]
2020 Accidents & Insurance, usa

At 02:56 22 May 2020, wrote:
Do you train to avoid making mistakes or do you train as if
you will make
m=
istakes?

Who=E2=80=99s has the ultimate authority over glider...
Forum: Soaring May 1st 20, 07:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Walsh[_2_]
Minimum acceptable self-launch climb rate

The Arcus is not an Open Class glider.

The Arcus E may not be strictly "Open Class" I don't know the strict
definition of "open". But the point I was trying (unsuccessfully) to
make is that the...
Forum: Soaring May 1st 20, 04:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Walsh[_2_]
Minimum acceptable self-launch climb rate

At 20:45 30 April 2020, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Thursday, April 30, 2020 at 10:48:55 AM UTC-4, Jonathan St.
Cloud wrote:
Someone please correct me if I am wrong but I believe
only 4 Arcus E's...
Forum: Soaring April 30th 20, 03:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Walsh[_2_]
Minimum acceptable self-launch climb rate

At 13:17 30 April 2020, wrote:
38:1 -- is that with the jet engine extended, gear retracted?

Yes- gear retracted, engine extended but not running.

The biggest cause of...
Forum: Soaring April 20th 20, 10:10 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Walsh[_2_]
Record height for a winch launch?

At 21:53 19 April 2020, wrote:
On Sunday, April 19, 2020 at 11:00:52 AM UTC-7,
wrote:
On Friday, April 17, 2020 at 5:53:55 PM UTC-5, AS wrote:
On...
Forum: Soaring April 12th 20, 12:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Walsh[_2_]
Best option for electric self starting glider

A couple of points: -
(i) On the Antares 20E the pylon is in front of the prop.
(ii) "Bricks" have various glide angles: The Antares20E is 30:1
with the engine up and the prop windmilling so better...
Forum: Soaring April 11th 20, 08:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Walsh[_2_]
Best option for electric self starting glider

In the Antares I'd expect to get to ~2500 feet AGL if the
ground temperature was 37C (100F). This at Sisteron at 1770
feet; so not a lot different to El Tiro altitude, this assumes that
the...
Forum: Soaring April 11th 20, 02:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Walsh[_2_]
Best option for electric self starting glider

This thread gets better and better!

"obvious competitive advantages with being able to stray far
from landing fields, or safely restart from 200ft"

Not sure about a "competitive advantage" but you...
Forum: Soaring April 9th 20, 03:19 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Walsh[_2_]
Best option for electric self starting glider

Ha, ha; so nice to see so many optimists still exist in gliding.
The idea of a duplicate electric engine/battery system must
bring a smile to those existing realists who already own an
electric...
Forum: Soaring April 8th 20, 04:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Walsh[_2_]
Best option for electric self starting glider

I'd take any unproven factory "statistics" with a large grain of
salt. You have a well known Antares 20E pilot based at
Montricher, have you asked his opinion?
You remember that old saw: never buy...
Forum: Soaring April 1st 20, 10:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Walsh[_2_]
Concealed Carry In MY ASW27

So now motor glider pilots have another "advantage": no need
to tote iron?
Forum: Soaring March 24th 20, 05:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Walsh[_2_]
The Decline of Soaring Awards

Wearing my old foggies hat, a question: why is it necessary to
have an expensive glass two seater to teach cross country? I seem
to remember it was possible to set off on cross country in a "low"...
Forum: Soaring March 21st 20, 02:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Walsh[_2_]
Coronavirus impacting activities?

At 13:46 21 March 2020, wrote:
And Don if folks took your viewpoint, the Seniors should have
bern
cancelled this year midstream! Ask those who
participated/participating...
Forum: Soaring March 20th 20, 11:54 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Walsh[_2_]
O2, Question for medics.

At 05:38 20 March 2020, Tango Whisky wrote:
What is needed are breathing apparatus.
Completely differnt game.

Not a medic, just a biochemist. Hard to see what harm could be
done using gliding...
Forum: Soaring March 16th 20, 04:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Walsh[_2_]
L 33 Solo Gliders

Well here in France it seems all gliding clubs have been asked to
close voluntarily for now....Covid-19.
So, back to the "thread". I think the advice to get some spin
training is missing the whole...
Forum: Soaring March 14th 20, 07:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Walsh[_2_]
L 33 Solo Gliders

At 15:33 14 March 2020, Nick Kennedy wrote:
In the W&W Claasifieds there is a L33 Solo listed for 13K
Canadian, that
about 9400 USD.
I read Dick Johnsons flight report and he liked it, he was...
Forum: Soaring March 14th 20, 12:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Walsh[_2_]
Mini-Winch for FES

At 14:53 08 March 2020, wrote:
On Saturday, March 7, 2020 at 10:20:05 AM UTC-6, Emir Sherbi
wrote:
Actually, that is not the worst of the ideas. Safer than other...
Forum: Soaring March 4th 20, 06:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Walsh[_2_]
Mini-Winch for FES

At 17:06 04 March 2020, wrote:
On Wednesday, March 4, 2020 at 12:38:57 AM UTC-5, Paul
Remde wrote:
Hi,
=20
This is just a thought... =20
=20
I=E2=80=99ve...
Forum: Soaring March 4th 20, 10:29 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Walsh[_2_]
Mini-Winch for FES

At 06:03 04 March 2020, Steve Leonard wrote:
The "mini winch" could also be a car and an air tow (200 foot
or so) rope.
Keeps you from having to buy and maintain additional
equipment.

Steve...
Forum: Soaring February 29th 20, 10:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Walsh[_2_]
Coronavirus

At 18:31 29 February 2020, ProfJ wrote:
Turns out that another unexpected benefit of being a glider pilot
is that
you're thoroughly prepared for coronavirus. Got the oxygen set,
the
oximeter,...
Forum: Soaring February 27th 20, 05:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Walsh[_2_]
LiFePo Refit Part 23 AC

At 17:17 27 February 2020, wrote:
On Thursday, February 27, 2020 at 12:43:21 AM UTC-5, 2G
wrote:
On Wednesday, February 26, 2020 at 1:13:46 PM UTC-8,
Shaun Wheeler...
Forum: Soaring February 20th 20, 11:16 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Walsh[_2_]
Looking for help with French trailer documents (contact information)

At 07:31 20 February 2020, wrote:
Try on this french forum:
http://www.volavoile.net/index.php?act=3Didx
Fran=C3=A7ois

Trying Volavoile.net is a good idea, especially if you...
Forum: Soaring February 17th 20, 08:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Walsh[_2_]
Looking for help with French trailer documents (contact information)

I feel your pain. It took me nearly two years of intermittent work
and expense to get a German registered Anschau trailer onto
French registration and that was without any documentary
glitches. I...
Forum: Soaring December 9th 19, 11:07 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Walsh[_2_]
Gliding risk....

You were lucky! I was in a UK owned DuoDiscus based at
Sisteron, France, a few years ago. Wing spar de-bonding was
discovered at an annual inspection even though the glider had,
in...