Search: Posts made by: Papa3
Forum: Soaring December 1st 11, 11:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3
Komet Trailer Question

Hi Jay,

Anschau (builder of the Komet series) is still very much in business. I recently had a round of communication with them regarding a more recent version of the Komet (circa 1999), and it...
Forum: Soaring October 19th 11, 07:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3
Cadillac commercial accident?

FWIW - When my college club was actively doing auto tows (2-33 with a CG hook on a 3,000 foot paved runway with 1,000 feet of overrun), we would routinely do "repositioning" tows. For example...
Forum: Soaring September 11th 11, 02:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3
Position Recorders allowed the US for Silver badges?

Leaving aside the issue of creating a valid task: There is as of now only one GPS Position Recorder approved by the SSA for Badge attempts, and that is FlyWithCE. I know that we posted this...
Forum: Soaring September 3rd 11, 02:38 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3
LS-8 outer ballast tank filler thingie

For the outers, yes. I don't have mine in front of me, but it's just a rigid plastic fitting of thick walled pipe. It has a slight taper iirc, but it is a friction fit. A length of PVC with the...
Forum: Soaring August 21st 11, 01:55 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3
Using XCOM and Flight Line radios in certificated gliders

Okay, I know this has gone way off topic, but...

One of the guys showed up at the field today with nothing less than Pork Slap Ale. Perhaps the new official brew of the Deck at...
Forum: Soaring August 20th 11, 12:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3
Using XCOM and Flight Line radios in certificated gliders

On Friday, August 19, 2011 4:58:18 PM UTC-4, Tony V wrote:

Yeah, OK, you're referring to the Reinheitsgebot sometimes called the
"German Beer Purity Law". Around here we have the...
Forum: Soaring July 26th 11, 12:24 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3
First hand experience with GPS Jamming

On Jul 24, 4:12*pm, Bill D wrote:
On Jul 24, 12:44*pm, Greg Arnold wrote:

On 7/24/2011 11:29 AM, T wrote:

On Jul 24, 9:12 am,...
Forum: Soaring July 24th 11, 12:50 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3
Logan contest reporting now only on Soaring Cafe

On Jul 23, 7:06*pm, "
wrote:
On Jul 23, 3:32*pm, "Paul Remde" wrote:

I too, as an SSA member, ask you to please...
Forum: Soaring July 12th 11, 06:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3
tow rope brake practice crash, what can we learn...

On Jul 12, 11:10*am, Berry wrote:
Andy

The pilot that was fatally injured was reportedly a CFIG. The pilot
that was seriously injured was a glider DPE. It's...
Forum: Soaring July 8th 11, 06:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3
Grob 102CS tow-out gear

On Jul 7, 3:38*pm, Stefan Murry wrote:
Hi, all, long time listener, first time poster.

I'm planning on flying in the Region 10 contest in August in my club's
mighty...
Forum: Soaring July 6th 11, 01:15 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3
Another Downwind Dash

Made my evening! Thanks for sharing this.
Forum: Soaring May 17th 11, 09:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3
Foka 4 fatal crash

On May 17, 9:53*am, CLewis95 wrote:
On May 17, 3:12*am, Paul wrote:

On 17/05/2011 01:34, Ramy wrote:

On May 16, 5:21 pm, Al...
Forum: Soaring May 14th 11, 02:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3
new Soaring article

On May 12, 8:32*pm, John Cochrane
wrote:

They did, give them credit. The IGC created the world class, in
response to this sentiment. It was exactly your...
Forum: Soaring May 12th 11, 10:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3
new Soaring article

On May 12, 4:19*pm, John Cochrane
wrote:
On May 12, 3:09*pm, Andrzej Kobus wrote:

On May 12, 2:56*pm, Tony wrote:

Forum: Soaring May 11th 11, 01:26 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3
Pee bags

On May 10, 10:16*am, GARY BOGGS wrote:
Most of us can relate to this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBdymtyXt8Y

almost 200km in a 2-33. *Check out the save on...
Forum: Soaring April 19th 11, 09:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3
SeeYou task leg distance calculation question

On Apr 19, 4:16┬*pm, Wojciech Scigala wrote:
Użytkownik Tuno napisał:

Another contradiction to expectations is the "Task time" -- I expect
that to act like a...
Forum: Soaring April 18th 11, 11:43 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3
Need Input On Rudder Lock

On Apr 18, 6:32*pm, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Apr 18, 3:26*pm, "Matt Herron Jr." wrote:

Heavy gauge PVC pipe with elbows and PVC glue and covered...
Forum: Soaring April 15th 11, 04:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3
Blue Ridge Crash

On Apr 15, 5:33*am, Peter F wrote:
At 03:59 15 April 2011, Nick Kennedy wrote:

I am also a big fan of launchin
with the spoilers open and have been doing it now for...
Forum: Soaring April 6th 11, 01:36 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3
G 103 Twin II weight troubles...

On Apr 5, 7:31*am, Eric van Geetsum wrote:
The Twin II of our club has an empty weight of 415 kg wich, with a *max..
permitable total mass of 580kg leaves a max. payload of...
Forum: Soaring April 5th 11, 06:02 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3
TCAS and slow moving/stationary targets?

On Apr 4, 9:02*pm, T wrote:
On Apr 4, 4:47*pm, Papa3 wrote:

Hi,

Quick google search on "TCAS filter slow" and similar didn't get me
Forum: Soaring April 5th 11, 12:47 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3
TCAS and slow moving/stationary targets?

Hi,

Quick google search on "TCAS filter slow" and similar didn't get me
what I wanted, so here goes... Do TCAS systems filter out targets
which have slow/no ground speed?

Reason for asking... I...
Forum: Soaring March 31st 11, 02:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3
(USA) logbook endorsement requirement(s) for new glider type?

On Mar 30, 11:20*pm, Tuno wrote:
For as long as I've been flying anything, including and especially
gliders, I've had a CFI endorse a cockpit checkout in my logbook, for
Forum: Soaring March 19th 11, 05:17 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3
Spring Cleaning and Battery Testing

On Mar 18, 3:51*pm, Westbender wrote:
A little off-topic, but worth saying.

The best way to get the longest life from a lead-acid battery is to
always keep it topped...
Forum: Soaring January 31st 11, 04:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3
LS-4 Trim Lock coming loose with stick deflection?

On Jan 31, 10:02*am, JJ Sinclair wrote:
On Jan 30, 6:58*pm, gs03jsa wrote:

Hi Folks -

Quick question - does anyone have experience with the...
Forum: Soaring December 24th 10, 07:34 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3
SSA Copyright

On Dec 22, 10:00*pm, Greg Arnold wrote:
On 12/22/2010 6:43 PM, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:

On Dec 22, 5:23 pm, Darryl *wrote:

What...