Forum: Soaring June 12th 18, 03:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Radio Squelch - Electrical Noise Problems

I have to agree with PAGA.
It took almost a whole day but taking all units off line and adding them back one at a time identified what system was the source. Then it was a couple hours using ferrite...
Forum: Soaring June 11th 18, 08:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cobra trailer stuck closed

You know.
These forums are degrading into gutter talk and condescension way too often and way too quickly. People being off topic should be immediately blocked. Those with verbal trigger fingers...
Forum: Soaring May 30th 18, 04:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Car/Truck to pull glider trailer

Towing across the barren western states in an all electric car.
Some people just like a complicated life.
Forum: Soaring May 30th 18, 01:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Good lubricant for assembly

I would like to add that the synthetic lithium products also do not get HARD in cold weather like vasaline.
Forum: Soaring May 17th 18, 01:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
A Simple Question About LiFePO4 Batteries

I want to concur with Dan.
I fly out of Minden and we cruise between 15,000 and 17,999. It is COLD at that altitude.
My lead batteries would lose voltage as the temp dropped. After three hours at...
Forum: Soaring May 13th 18, 02:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
A Simple Question About LiFePO4 Batteries

I have several LFP batteries, all different makes. The multiple chargers was an issue for me. I have had a very good experience with the CTEK Lithium US charger.
I was curious about CTEK since both...
Forum: Soaring May 7th 18, 12:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Attitudes & Reality

We have the same problem in medicine, its called Alarm Fatigue. During sedation there are alarms for just about every parameter that we monitor: absolute blood pressure, mean blood pressure, heart...
Forum: Soaring May 5th 18, 03:44 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FLARM in the USA question

Hi Darryl,
I was responding primarily to this thread.
However, the term Flarm seems to be used generically when there are two distinctly different systems.
BTW, I spent all day updating my FLARM and...
Forum: Soaring May 5th 18, 03:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FLARM in the USA question

So.....
Classic Flarm units are not permitted in the USA?
Therefore, all of our discussions in the USA should be limited to PowerFlarm?
Forum: Soaring May 5th 18, 01:50 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FLARM in the USA question

Thank you.
THis amalgam of "FLARM" units makes the endless discussions all the more difficult.
Forum: Soaring May 5th 18, 01:11 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FLARM in the USA question

I have PowerFlarm Core Manual Version 150, January 19, 2016.
Page 31, paragraph 4,"Within the USA, the device may only be used in transportation vehicles such as aircraft or motor vehicles."

I have...
Forum: Soaring May 1st 18, 03:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Notable Power Flarm saves - Is it 'worth it'?

You know...I get it. Flarms are very cool and glider specific.
BUT, transponders are the primary anti-collision tool for all aircraft.
I strongly argue that a transponder should be the first...
Forum: Soaring May 1st 18, 04:38 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
best glider for new pilots?

The trailer is more important than the plane.
A Cobra is the BEST.
No bashed knuckles.
No cuts on your scalp.
No fiddling with trolleys that won't stay in their tracks.
Parts are available with one...
Forum: Soaring May 1st 18, 02:13 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
NEW: MILVUS - Gliding trousers 2.0

Flew with my new trousers yesterday. Never so easy to take care of business while flying.
Thank you.
Forum: Soaring April 30th 18, 06:11 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Oudie won’t download flight

I used my new Oudie 2 for the first time today.
I actually shut it down incorrectly.
I just pushed and held the on/off button instead of going to the menu and selecting the Exit button.
My flight was...
Forum: Soaring April 25th 18, 03:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mounting tires on 3" solid tailwheels

Just a general comment that oils and solvent based products are not very compatible with rubber. Ask any tire shop. Water based products are the safest.
Forum: Soaring April 24th 18, 04:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OUDIE

It is the plastic self destructing.
It will only get worse.
I bought a new one and am happy again.
Forum: Soaring April 10th 18, 04:55 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
NEW: MILVUS - Gliding trousers 2.0

On Monday, April 9, 2018 at 10:33:26 AM UTC-7, Dan el Baumli wrote:
Am Sonntag, 8. April 2018 23:19:35 UTC+2 schrieb :
On Saturday, April 7, 2018 at 7:37:33 AM UTC-7,...
Forum: Soaring April 4th 18, 04:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SLA batteries opinions?

I have flown with both an LFP and SLA battery in my ship for 5 years. I alternate which one is primary and which one is secondary on each flight. A PowerSonic 12V14Ah SLA vs Powerizer 12V15Ah LFP. ...
Forum: Soaring March 8th 18, 01:21 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
TE Compensation

I use my S80 on electronic compensation.
I have my winter on the TE probe.
The two instruments are virtually identical overall.
I prefer flying by the S80 because you can tune it to be less...
Forum: Soaring February 28th 18, 04:57 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Towing trailer and glider with a honda civic

The tow vehicle should always weight more than the trailer.
The tow vehicle should weight at least twice as much as the trailer.
I have many stories to share.
Take my suggestion and be happy and...
Forum: Soaring February 15th 18, 01:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Prandtl multi probe receptacle used for TE only?

Now tell me again...
Why aren't the O rings on the probe?

Must be an oversupply of engineers needing to design something like this O ring insertion tool.
Forum: Soaring January 22nd 18, 03:10 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Looping a standard cirrus

Again,
ALL gliders are certified to a standard to withstand specified loads.
The standard cirrus is made before JAR 22 standards were published but for most gliders in the last twenty years, they are...
Forum: Soaring January 20th 18, 03:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Looping a standard cirrus

Doing a loop is well within the flight envelope of almost all modern (20 years) gliders. A low stress figure that is fun to fly.
BUT...you should have a verified, accurate G-meter.
AND...the...
Forum: Soaring January 7th 18, 11:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Lubricant for spar pins

I have used 100% synthetic Mobil 1 grease for three gliders that I fly in the heat of summer and the very very cold winters. Does not get stiff in the winter or runny in the summer.