Search: Posts made by: Brian Whatcott
Forum: Owning July 11th 16, 02:00 AM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By Brian Whatcott
NAvion Owners

On 1/29/2014 11:48 AM, RyanDog wrote:

Afternoon all,

I am a proud NAvion owner and looking for other like minded crazy
pilots. :)

Shoot me an email of your location and type, pictures...
Forum: Home Built July 11th 16, 01:57 AM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By Brian Whatcott
ideas for Kitplanes article?

On 7/6/2016 9:51 PM, SSD KOF wrote:
Hi all-

I pitched some ideas for articles to Kitplanes Magazine. I've written for them before but it's been a few years. Editor Paul Dye graciously and...
Forum: Home Built July 11th 16, 01:49 AM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By Brian Whatcott
Can You Name an "Aircraft-Accessible" Aviation Museum?

On 6/27/2016 2:54 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, January 6, 2004 at 5:01:09 PM UTC-5, Jay Honeck wrote:
In another post about the fabulous new Udvar-Hazy Center (part of the
Forum: Piloting September 5th 15, 11:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Brian Whatcott
Compass Questions ?

Oh my, a reasonable question, attracting answers over the next two days,
of which just one had it right - and that referred to the AHRS
attitude heading system. What used to be an expensive...
Forum: Piloting March 20th 15, 10:31 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Brian Whatcott
Burning oil

On 3/10/2015 2:41 PM, Dallas wrote:
Why do reciprocal engines burn so much oil?

I've always wanted to know...

It's mostly air-cooled recips that burn the oil.

The temp range experienced by...
Forum: Home Built August 26th 13, 02:00 AM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By Brian Whatcott
Rec.Aviation.Homebuilt

On 8/19/2013 4:34 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 06:41:22 -0500, Richard
wrote:

On 8/18/2013 10:18 PM, tom c wrote:
"Barnyard...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules January 13th 13, 02:02 AM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Brian Whatcott
Where are VASIs located on a field ?

On 1/12/2013 3:33 PM, Sam Spade wrote:
On 12/25/2012 3:26 PM, wrote:
Where are VASIs located on a field that doesn't have an ILS ? Is it a
certain number of feet from end...
Forum: Piloting August 13th 11, 04:10 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Brian Whatcott
Seatbelt Broken: Legal to Fly?

On 8/11/2011 10:02 PM, Lisa Smith wrote:
An airplane has its right front seat belt broken. Is it legal to fly,
assuming nobody is sitting in the right front seat? I say no, others say
yes.

Forum: Piloting August 12th 11, 12:05 AM Posted to alt.politics.obama,alt.politics.liberalism,alt.security.terrorism,alt.politics.usa.constitution,rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Brian Whatcott
National Magazine says Obama not Born in U.S.

On 5/31/2011 12:36 PM, The Ohio State Vest wrote:
http://www.westernjournalism.com/exclusive-video-national-magazine-says-
obama-not-born-in-u-s/

Globe Magazine has taken up the Obama...
Forum: Piloting May 28th 11, 09:11 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Brian Whatcott
Lift - Newton/Bernoulli ratio...

On 5/28/2011 2:01 PM, Dudley Henriques wrote:
On May 28, 2:27 pm, brian wrote:
On 5/23/2011 4:20 PM, Mxsmanic wrote:

When I dealt with the lift issue...
Forum: Piloting May 28th 11, 07:43 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Brian Whatcott
Lift - Newton/Bernoulli ratio...

On 5/25/2011 1:36 AM, Dave Doe wrote:

Have a look at this one that I found late last night - check the section
out on Wing Efficiency - and the sections beyond it... comments welcomed
:)

Forum: Piloting May 28th 11, 07:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Brian Whatcott
Lift - Newton/Bernoulli ratio...

On 5/23/2011 4:20 PM, Mxsmanic wrote:

When I dealt with the lift issue with instructors in seminar, my
personal approach was to favor the Newtonian explanation as in my
opinion student...
Forum: Owning May 27th 11, 01:32 AM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By Brian Whatcott
Flight Plan Overdue.

My wife took a call coupla days ago. From a Florida Air Force Base.
She asked me to call them.
"Your plane is overdue". I confirmed the number, but told them I
believed it was still in its open tee...
Forum: Piloting May 23rd 11, 12:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Brian Whatcott
Lift - Newton/Bernoulli ratio...

On 5/23/2011 3:40 AM, Dave Doe wrote:

Simple answer, there is no "ratio" -
Newton 100% + Bernoulli 100%, total = 100%

So a wing generates as much lift upside down?

For an aircraft flying...
Forum: Piloting May 23rd 11, 03:02 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Brian Whatcott
Lift - Newton/Bernoulli ratio...

On 5/22/2011 5:15 AM, Dave Doe wrote:
Does anyone have any figures and references for about what ratio lift is
produced by Newton's Laws and Bernoulli's Laws?

I appreciate this is not a...
Forum: Piloting March 28th 11, 02:31 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Posted By Brian Whatcott
Redbird's new full-motion, low-cost flight simulator

On 3/27/2011 7:47 PM, vaughn wrote:
"Dimitri wrote in message news:[email protected]
On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 20:14:19 -0400, ...
Forum: Piloting March 28th 11, 02:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Posted By Brian Whatcott
Redbird's new full-motion, low-cost flight simulator

On 3/27/2011 5:56 PM, Dimitri P. wrote:
On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 20:14:19 -0400, vaughn
wrote:

As a student pilot, I insisted on pre-solo spin training. If I ever
Forum: Home Built March 25th 11, 01:22 AM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By Brian Whatcott
Time to Head Out.

Today I arranged to fly from Altus Okla, to Corpus TX to visit with my
younger son, starting April 6th. Then I noticed the April AOPA Pilot on
my desk at home.
Page 106 "Hangar Hotel - it's 1942...
Forum: Owning March 13th 11, 04:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By Brian Whatcott
Plane for Short Field, Grass Strip, Beginner?

On 3/9/2011 8:03 AM, MBDiagMan wrote:
First of all, thanks for the replies.

As further information on my proposed field. It would have two strips,
one about 15/33, 1,200 feet or a little...
Forum: Owning March 5th 11, 12:55 AM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By Brian Whatcott
Plane for Short Field, Grass Strip, Beginner?

On 3/1/2011 11:36 AM, MBDiagMan wrote:
Background:

I am about a 60 hour, non current pilot who hasn't flown in about 13
years. I have a pipeline coming through my place that has produced
Forum: Owning February 28th 11, 12:42 AM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By Brian Whatcott
Cessna 150

On 1/16/2011 5:28 PM, cjacorona wrote:
Hey Cessna 150 owners i just got my 150 last spring and this is the
first winter im flying it, the problem is it's so cold in the plane that
steam comes...
Forum: Home Built February 8th 11, 02:59 AM Posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By Brian Whatcott
Taxi calculator? (propeller type and speed, aircraft weight,taxi speed)

On 2/3/2011 4:55 PM, John Doe wrote:
Is there such a calculation/formula? How can you tell what
propeller to use, how fast it should rotate, and how much weight
it can push along the...
Forum: Home Built January 28th 11, 02:50 AM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By Brian Whatcott
How many landings will aircraft tires hold?

On 1/27/2011 6:28 AM, Oliver Arend wrote:
I know the answer is "it depends", but let's say you are in a regular
light airplane (C152, C172 ...) with "real" aircraft tires and you do
normal...
Forum: Home Built December 14th 10, 01:22 AM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By Brian Whatcott
Fuel Gauge reading Empty.

I checked out a fuel tank transmitter the other day.

Under an inspection panel, a single screw terminal connects a wire to
the guage from a rheostat hooked to a float. I clipped a test lead on...
Forum: Piloting December 9th 10, 03:59 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Brian Whatcott
Tornado Decants

This is old news now. I was checking the date when RAF Marham changed
their ILS frequency for runway 24. I established it at between one and
three years ago. Then up popped a sad story, carried in...