Forum: Soaring August 28th 18, 02:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vario Comparison

Mike,

Congrats on the new gadget. It sounds great. Since you are here and talking about TE compensation, there is a dumb question that I've often wondered about.

In theory TE = MGH +...
Forum: Soaring August 17th 18, 02:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Perlan High Altitude Tow Plane

Maybe it was something I ate, but I had a strange thought last night on towing really high.

What if you put a cg tow position on the tow plane and payed out cable from the tow plane winch launch...
Forum: Soaring August 5th 18, 06:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Accident report removed?

Report says they were having a nice day, then a thud and rudder pedals moved suddenly.

I wonder if they have enough of the rudder to look for some sort of mid air collision damage.
Forum: Soaring August 4th 18, 03:56 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
trying to understand Wings program

"I don't get it."
The problem may be your focus.

For me, Wings is an easy opportunity to learn more about flying. Some from the lecture, but also from hanging around a talking to pilots and...
Forum: Soaring July 31st 18, 01:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Day 2 of 18m WGC

Maybe some planes are better than others...

....at finding the right pilots to fly them?
Forum: Soaring June 30th 18, 02:17 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Any details on Nephi incident?

This seems a 2 bottle event. With parachutes, it is generally good form not to share, that is to have one per pilot.

Aside from the how to attach the PLB lesson, perhaps another is to rethink the...
Forum: Soaring June 23rd 18, 01:04 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Any details on Nephi incident?

He's back at Nephi, rather shaken as one might imagine.

That really good news.

Eventually we'll learn what sequence of events made the chutes more attractive than the glider and why there were no...
Forum: Soaring June 20th 18, 01:47 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
A complicated question about LiFePO4 batteries, - and switching.

If you drop 0.7V on a 13V battery, you're going to be drawing 5% more power and have 5% less endurance.

I have slightly different numbers. I use low drop (0.4 v) diodes and per battery switches...
Forum: Soaring June 13th 18, 11:55 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Need a trailer

Thanks,

tip and tail clamps yes, but wing trolleys pretty bent

-Stuart
Forum: Soaring June 13th 18, 02:18 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Need a trailer

Semi's in the rear view mirror look bigger than glider trailers, especially when approaching fast and sliding sideways.

Everybody's ok, but unfortunately I need a trailer, rudder, and RV.

Anybody...
Forum: Soaring June 6th 18, 09:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Towplane-Baron accident

I am, however, left wondering...

Here's a link for more court proceedings

https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/10724955/Rossetti_v_United_States_of_America_et_al
Forum: Soaring June 5th 18, 01:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Towplane-Baron accident

Here's the NTSB report
https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/ReportGeneratorFile.ashx?EventID=20140222X51922&AKey=1&RType=Final&IType=FA

An unfortunate event with plenty of opportunities for improvement...
Forum: Soaring June 4th 18, 05:14 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
refilling O2 bottles on the road.

So what happens if I rent a welding cylinder, weld until it's empty, remove the regulator, forget to close the valve, and just for fun it gets rained on?

Do they just refill it or dry and purge it...
Forum: Soaring June 4th 18, 02:15 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
refilling O2 bottles on the road.

It happens I just did this exercise with the local welder's supply.

For a 250cuft tank, the cost was $28 for the O2 + $10 for a month's tank rental(not charged for a week) + $250 for a tank deposit...
Forum: Soaring May 25th 18, 01:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pitot system - odd event

If the bellow ruptured, it seems like it would have made a path from the pitot to static which would have made the altimeter readings wierd.

From Dave's story, it might be worth putting the affected...
Forum: Soaring May 24th 18, 01:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pitot system - odd event

There might be a clue in AC43.13. Here's a caution note from the pitot static testing section ( Paragraphs 12-58 and 59)

"Do not blow air through the line toward the instrument panel. This may...
Forum: Soaring May 24th 18, 01:50 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Landing with reduced airbrake

Less spoilers near touchdown should cause a lower sink rate and lower the chance of a bad attitude tail strike breaking something.

But doing the last half of final aiming for the end of the runway...
Forum: Soaring May 18th 18, 01:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
A Simple Question About LiFePO4 Batteries

However, I can't find a LiFePO4 equivalent for it. Does such a thing exist?

How about this...
Forum: Soaring May 11th 18, 01:14 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Iran and GPS etc

The US military built, owns, and controls it, but the user base has kind of gotten out of hand.

They might could turn it off any time they want once, but it might be a career limiting event.

If...
Forum: Soaring May 11th 18, 01:04 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Flat external FLARM antenna?

Two options come to mind.
1) Put the A antenna as high as reasonable around the glare shield. Away from other conductors that might mess with the pattern. I run with a piece of 1/16 lexan to put...
Forum: Soaring May 6th 18, 02:25 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Notable Power Flarm saves - Is it 'worth it'?

My message for a long time has been: If you fly near areas of dense airliners, fast jets and military traffic, just get a transponder, Mode S or used Mode C does not matter... get what you can...
Forum: Soaring April 6th 18, 02:11 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Virgin Galactic

Interesting,

The N202VG registration says no engine
The news video shows rocket powered flight and no call sign.

Not sure if the test used a different ship or a paperwork snafu.

Great flight,...
Forum: Soaring March 17th 18, 02:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Parachute Service Life Limit - there is no 20 year rule!

I'm not sure the subject heading matches the FAA letter.

I read the letter as

"The Faa considers
service life recommended by the manufacturer
a non-regulatory requirement
for a chute that meets
Forum: Soaring March 16th 18, 01:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gas Strut for early (1997) Anschau Komet trailer

On Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 5:51:25 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
McMaster-Carr?

Given everything else required to keep a glider flying, changing the struts should not be hard for the...