Playing Chicken With The Birds by [email protected]
Hi, everyone. Here in Miami, we have a lot of turkey buzzards. They are VERY good at finding, centering and re-centering thermals. When the lift allows, they will soar (without flapping wings) all the way up into cumulus clouds with 3-4 thousand foot bases. Because they are so good at the...
Today 05:06 PM
by Jonathan St. Cloud Go to last post
6 16 Soaring
Boeing and SparkCognition to Launch Joint Venture SkyGrid AI- and blockchain-powered airspace management by Larry Dighera
For some reason, this announcement makes me uneasy. I think it's the prospect of computers managing air traffic. What could go wrong? Given the virtually infinite complexity of the NAS, how will the software engineers accurately model it and provide for every possible contingency? ...
Today 04:40 PM
by Larry Dighera Go to last post
0 1 Piloting
My September 2017 visit to GP Gliders by [email protected]
My September 2017 visit to GP Gliders: Poland is a beautiful country, especially in early September. The purpose of this trip was to meet CEO Jerzy Peszke and tour the GP Gliders facility. The operation recently moved to Korczyna (2.5 miles NW of Krosno). The original airport building was too...
by Jim White[_3_] Go to last post
30 472 Soaring
Lion Air by Sam Spade
The gooks have ditched the CVR
Today 02:55 AM
by Sam Spade Go to last post
0 16 Instrument Flight Rules
Glider Simulator Training at the USAFA by [email protected]
In the summer of 2018, the United States Air Force Academy began using Mach 0.1 Simulated Glider Cockpits as part of their "Glider Airmanship" course. The data collected from the course shows that the solo rate for students who completed the course in 2018 was more than double the solo rate of the...
by Darryl Ramm Go to last post
21 120 Soaring
Recommended configuration: ADS-B receiver, iPad, software? by [email protected]
Christmas is coming. Any suggested combinations? I currently have a ClearNav II (in a tunnel). Will probably be upgrading the transponder to a Trig 22 in the not too distant future. I am concerned about iPad legibility in sunlight. Is that an issue? Is there another tablet with markedly...
by Darryl Ramm Go to last post