Search: Posts made by: kirk.stant
Forum: Soaring June 14th 21, 10:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Winch demonstration/training at home gliderport

On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 8:00:23 AM UTC-5, wrote:
One may find that the real estate acquisition for a 4,000' + runway to get a decent winch launch height is more expensive...
Forum: Soaring June 11th 21, 06:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Winch demonstration/training at home gliderport

Some quick answers to above questions:

1. Our club owns the field north of the runway, and the road in question is a farm right-of-way with very limited traffic. It would likely not be a big issue...
Forum: Soaring June 8th 21, 08:19 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Winch demonstration/training at home gliderport

St Louis Soaring Association (stlsoar.org) is interested in a winch demonstration and possible training at our home gliderport (H07) in Highland, IL - located 30 miles East of St Louis right off...
Forum: Soaring June 21st 20, 08:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Trailer for Grob Astir CS

St Louis Soaring Association is looking for a trailer for our Grob Astir CS. The one it came with is somewhat sketchy, and we would like something that is better suited to retrieves - at this is our...
Forum: Soaring June 4th 20, 06:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
powerflarm display track file download

On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 1:57:10 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 3:01:13 PM UTC-4, kirk.stant wrote:
On Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 5:30:32 PM UTC-5, Dave Nadler...
Forum: Soaring June 2nd 20, 05:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
2-32 landing Michigan

On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 6:40:16 AM UTC-5, wrote:

Thanks Stephen, My CFI made that exact point. I struggled with to much rudder, he would say either "Increase the bank or get...
Forum: Soaring May 27th 20, 02:45 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
AOA indicator poll.

On Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 6:29:06 PM UTC-5, Luc Job wrote:
Hi Kirk!

I will within days put the website online... You will have the opportunity to upload a picture of your panel... Maybe it's...
Forum: Soaring May 26th 20, 08:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
AOA indicator poll.

Luc,

I'm a big fan of using AOA (ever since my days long ago in F-4s, that relied heavily on AOA!) and would be interested in your instrument. My problem is I fly an LS6 with a small panel and there...
Forum: Soaring May 19th 20, 09:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

How about banning all sideways/aft opening canopies from gliders? An unlocked canopy is a non-event in my LS6 with it's forward hinged canopy. Grobs? Deathtraps!

Or, just ban all canopies, period....
Forum: Soaring May 16th 20, 08:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
powerflarm display track file download

On Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 5:30:32 PM UTC-5, Dave Nadler wrote:
I'm going to take a crack at updating the Butterfly display software
to fix this and a couple of other issues. Can anybody help...
Forum: Soaring March 26th 20, 08:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Tost tow reel installation in US registered Super Cub

On Monday, March 16, 2020 at 7:23:55 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Saturday, March 14, 2020 at 7:28:26 PM UTC-4, kirk.stant wrote:
Does anyone in the US have any experience...
Forum: Soaring March 26th 20, 08:43 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Are You Ashamed to Land Out?

It's not the first landout of the day that is embarassing - it's the second one - especially during a contest!

One of my first contest flights, in a G-102 out of Estrella. Task was basically...
Forum: Soaring March 14th 20, 11:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Tost tow reel installation in US registered Super Cub

Does anyone in the US have any experience installing a Tost tow reel in a PA-18 Supercub? Our club Pawnees both have Tost reels installed and we think they are great, and would like to install the...
Forum: Soaring March 7th 20, 06:31 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Piper Pawnee Rear View Mirrors

On Monday, March 2, 2020 at 8:09:03 AM UTC-6, William Kautter wrote:
I'm looking for sources for rear view mirrors suitable for mounting on both the left and right exterior sides of a Piper Pawnee....
Forum: Soaring October 2nd 19, 11:42 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Mechanical vs electrical vario needles

Best of both worlds, especially as a backup:

https://www.westerboer.de/PDF/VW1000/VW1000_EN.pdf

Needle with just enough other digital data to be useful. Best electronic TE I've flown with - easy...
Forum: Soaring September 23rd 19, 07:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Kawa rough landing?

On Sunday, September 22, 2019 at 7:12:50 PM UTC-5, Ben Coleman wrote:
That's interesting and good to know Dan. I had guessed there might be some bad behaviour in landing trim from the comments in...
Forum: Soaring August 13th 19, 05:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Pawnee Tow Release

Install a Tost reel system and you can use a simpler “release” setup due to the use of a guillotine. Very little force needed to cut the tow rope so the release lever can be smaller and mounted...
Forum: Soaring July 31st 19, 04:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
More sad news

On Wednesday, July 31, 2019 at 10:24:38 AM UTC-5, Mike Schumann wrote:
The problem with PowerFLARM today is that it does not reliably show you all GA traffic. It does NOT support TIS-B or UAT, so...
Forum: Soaring July 31st 19, 04:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
More sad news

On Tuesday, July 30, 2019 at 7:26:19 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Kirk, with respect, are you holding your breath for all those club gliders to get Flarm? ADSB is CLEARLY the 'way to go'...
Forum: Soaring July 30th 19, 08:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
More sad news

On Tuesday, July 30, 2019 at 9:25:46 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I would choose ADSB over PowerFlarm now, for a glider and a towplane.

Yeah, right, I'm not holding my breath for all those...
Forum: Soaring July 30th 19, 08:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
More sad news

On Monday, July 29, 2019 at 7:32:06 PM UTC-5, Bob Youngblood wrote:

Interesting, your Pawnee must have better visibility below than the three that I have owned.

Well, I'm more concerned about...
Forum: Soaring July 29th 19, 06:25 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
More sad news

On Sunday, July 28, 2019 at 4:34:57 PM UTC-5, Bob Youngblood wrote:

This is troubling, towplane and glider collide, not good. I fly both ends of the rope, there is never a single second that I...
Forum: Soaring July 8th 19, 01:29 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Will a Blanik L-13AC fit on an enclosed L-23 trailer?

Title says it all, trying to move an L-13AC, which has the old L-13-style folding tail (plus a small dorsal fin) from St Louis to Jacksonville.

Kirk
66
Forum: Soaring April 30th 19, 12:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
ILEC SN10 version 2.45 released

On Monday, April 29, 2019 at 9:08:50 PM UTC-5, Dave Nadler wrote:
Thanks to all the folks who helped with testing!
Best Regards, Dave

Forum: Soaring April 7th 19, 08:50 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Gliders for sale

St Louis Soaring Association is selling it's 1-34 and L-13AC; please see the ads on Wings and Wheels for details and photos.

Please feel free to PM me at stantkirk at gmail dot com if you are...