Search: Posts made by: Dan Marotta
Forum: Soaring Yesterday, 08:19 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Cheaper tows?

That's very interesting, but I have a question.* I've learned from
watching car shows on TV that converting an older engine designed to run
on leaded fuels to run on unleaded fuels requires the...
Forum: Soaring Yesterday, 04:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Towrope tensions....Part II

Well, I'm not a mechanical engineer, but...

It seems to me you should be more interested in the breaking strength of
the highest weak link you could imagine using and then add something for
the...
Forum: Soaring October 13th 18, 04:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
New $500 FAA ADS-B Rebate ... some motorgliders/sustainersqualify

This is what the FAA says HERE
https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/rebate/:

*Find out if you are eligible for a rebate:*

*Eligible aircraft:*U.S.-registered, fixed-wing, single-engine piston...
Forum: Soaring October 13th 18, 03:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
New $500 FAA ADS-B Rebate ... some motorgliders/sustainersqualify

Wait a minute!* Is this about age or date of registration?* I guess I
have to dig back into the documentation...

My Stemme was /_registered_/ in Mexico in 2004, but not in the US until
March of...
Forum: Soaring October 12th 18, 08:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
New $500 FAA ADS-B Rebate ... some motorgliders/sustainersqualify

Thanks Darryl,

I just got back from the Peregrine website and found no reference to
Stemme in their AML.* Since I bought my TT22 from Paul Remde, I've
contacted him for help.* I also emailed...
Forum: Soaring October 12th 18, 08:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
New $500 FAA ADS-B Rebate ... some motorgliders/sustainersqualify

Well...* My Stemme has an electrical system.* I'm taking a look.

My concern is about getting a Supplemental Type Certificate (STC) for
the installation.* My past research, surely out of date by...
Forum: Soaring October 10th 18, 05:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Mt Washington Diamond Mine delivers again...

Moriarty, too, though in the nine years I've been in the area I've only
seen the window opened once.

On 10/10/2018 10:11 AM, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Usually wave camps, that have...
Forum: Soaring October 10th 18, 03:17 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
HPH Twin Shark

Vindication!

My wife once said to me, "You always ask for freebies."* I replied, "If
you don't ask..."* BTW, I've got a drawer full of free junk.

:-D

On 10/9/2018 8:37 PM, Jonathan St. Cloud...
Forum: Soaring October 10th 18, 01:39 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
ADSB panel display

Hmmmmmm...* A possibility might be a daylight readable Android device
running XCSoar and kept zoomed in to about 10 miles or even something
less.* Also turn off the terrain so that you just have...
Forum: Soaring October 6th 18, 09:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Cockpit video recording -- the time is now.

It's a pretty long stretch to think that since I don't want a mandatory
camera in my cockpit you think that I object to seat belts in cars.* Of
course I've come to learn that folks that think like...
Forum: Soaring October 5th 18, 04:17 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Becker AR 4201

You /_can_/ solder wires into crimp pins.* Tin the wire first and use
care - not too much solder.

On 10/4/2018 10:21 PM, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
The connector may not be...
Forum: Soaring October 5th 18, 04:15 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
"Do It Yourself" airborne proximity warning device

Mike,

Let's fly near each other soon.* Have your vector alarm enabled and
let's see how it works.

Dan

On 10/4/2018 9:09 PM, Mike C wrote:
On Thursday, October 4, 2018 at 12:54:46 PM UTC-6,...
Forum: Soaring October 4th 18, 03:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Shooting down UAVs

A few years back, while flying our Pipistrel Sinus (long since gone) on
downwind, we were hit from the left side by something.* I suspect it was
a drone operated by one of the Google geeks that...
Forum: Soaring October 4th 18, 03:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Cockpit video recording -- the time is now.

Thanks Steve.* I have a portable unit mounted to my glare shield and am
happy with its performance except from below (carbon and all that).*
Some day I may install ADS-B; just looking for the...
Forum: Soaring October 3rd 18, 11:50 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Cockpit video recording -- the time is now.

Gee - I'm sorry that I'm not a responsible individual according to your
definition.* When you couch your arguments with negative adjectives to
describe people who don't agree with you, you lose...
Forum: Soaring October 3rd 18, 11:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Cockpit video recording -- the time is now.

Thanks Mike,

I thought Flarm was mandated in Europe.* I'm pretty sure France requires
it in the Alps, but that's neither here nor there.* I believe your
gliding community is independent from...
Forum: Soaring October 3rd 18, 04:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Glider crash near Reno September 2nd 2018 (retitled from"yesterday"

I am not anti authority, just pro freedom.* It's about our Constitution
which all good US citizens should be conversant with. Oh, yeah, I live
in a "no helmet law" state, but I still wear a helmet...
Forum: Soaring October 3rd 18, 04:50 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Cockpit video recording -- the time is now.

That hardly requires an answer, Mike.* I had seat belts in my car long
before they were mandated; it was my choice, not the government's, and
I'd still have them without the mandate. Likewise,...
Forum: Soaring October 3rd 18, 03:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Cockpit video recording -- the time is now.

On 10/2/2018 9:32 PM, Roy B. wrote:
My point however - was (and is) that if you can't get people to mandate use of an accident prevention device - how are you going to mandate a accident diagnostic...
Forum: Soaring October 2nd 18, 04:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Cockpit video recording -- the time is now.

You should get your head out of your ass and read before you open your
mouth.* Just for you, here's a paragraph from the original post:

"How can we make this happen?* Clearly individuals will not...
Forum: Soaring October 2nd 18, 04:17 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Cockpit video recording -- the time is now.

I think it's been pretty well established that the vast majority of
accidents are the result of pilot error.* A few examples:

Weather did not cause that accident; the pilot's decision to take off...
Forum: Soaring October 1st 18, 10:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Cockpit video recording -- the time is now.

Is it April 1st already?

There is no way a camera will be in my cockpit, car, home, bathroom, you
name it, without my consent.* And I don't care what "safety" terms you
couch it in.* That's...
Forum: Soaring September 28th 18, 10:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Glider crash near Reno yesterday

What's your point?* During that time, the G loading would not be nearly
as high as at the bottom of the loop.* A quarter roll, then, would take
about 3 seconds, not a big deal.* I'm betting they...
Forum: Soaring September 28th 18, 05:09 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Rechargeable Zinc-Air battery moves closer to commercialization

Dammit, I hate it when someone uses math to prove a point... :-D

On 9/28/2018 9:58 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Fri, 28 Sep 2018 07:48:13 -0700, Soartech wrote:

Ultra capacitors !
A...
Forum: Soaring September 28th 18, 05:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Glider crash near Reno yesterday

Thinking through this further and again, one would have to have this
planned out in advance...* At the top of the loop, the airspeed will be
considerably lower than at the bottom.* So, at the...