Search: Posts made by: David Lesher
Forum: General Aviation July 6th 11, 12:34 AM Posted to rec.aviation.misc
Posted By David Lesher
Which airliners have flown supersonic?

Bruce W writes:

What I can't figure out is what types of airline airplanes flew
supersonic.

TWA 841 did, or so most evidence says, in 1979. But not what you
had in...
Forum: General Aviation February 11th 11, 02:51 AM Posted to rec.aviation.misc
Posted By David Lesher
GPS Jamming coming?

http://www.gpsworld.com/gnss-system/news/data-shows-disastrous-gps-jamming-fcc-approved-broadcaster-11029

Data Shows Disastrous GPS Jamming from FCC-Approved Broadcaster
February 1,...
Forum: Owning January 11th 11, 04:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By David Lesher
ELT mounting; NTSB

The NTSB is concerned about ELT mountings. This came out of the
Ted Stevens crash.

I'd have thought the ELT would have a integral antenna with some
kind of switching scheme, but I guess...
Forum: Owning July 7th 10, 06:47 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Posted By David Lesher
How to Avoid Being Grounded.

betwys1 writes:

That's when I noticed the problem.
No Registration card. I know it had slipped out of its aluminum
mounting clip once or twice. But now it was...
Forum: Owning February 21st 10, 08:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By David Lesher
Some good news to my old friends here at rec.aviation

"Jay Honeck" writes:

For those who don't know, back in 2002 members of this group were
instrumental with helping Mary and me decide to make the leap into an
unknown...
Forum: Owning July 1st 09, 04:28 AM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By David Lesher
this sucks -- Hangar fire destroys 8 vintage planes

(United Press International) writes:

MOBILE, Ariz., June 30 (UPI) -- A 79-year-old Arizona man
lost his prized collection of vintage airplanes when the hangar...
Forum: Owning March 27th 09, 08:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By David Lesher
Is Jay swimming again?

I assume he's suffering from the rising water...
--
A host is a host from coast to
Unless the...

Mike Harvey writes:

Thanks for the response. It could be a bad connection to the ground.
As previous stated and to further clarify, I usually keep a...
Forum: Owning February 17th 09, 02:51 AM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By David Lesher
Mooney M20E io360 low voltage problem

Mike Harvey writes:

Hello, I own a 65 m20e with a io360. Recently been experiencing noise
on com1 and have read about low voltage being a problem with...
Forum: Owning January 15th 09, 08:12 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By David Lesher
Using car exhaust for engine Pre- heat??

Clark writes:

Big time corrosion potential with all that water vapor and CO2. Carbonic acid
is a problem with any combustion gas...

Note that mufflers rust out. There's a...
Forum: Owning December 26th 08, 08:17 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By David Lesher
DC exclusion rules

http://cryptome.info/0001/faa121608.htm

It's not clear to me if these new rules change anything or not;
but [un},en]joy.

--
A host is a host from coast to
&...

Some spammer lifted my email and pasted it in 20,000 From: lines.

Guess who gets the bounces?

From: "derril bethany"
From: "earvin lynne"
etc...
--
A host is a...
Forum: Owning November 6th 08, 04:01 AM Posted to rec.aviation.owning

"John M. Martin Jr." writes:

Can you explain a shell account? Thank you!

You get an account on a Unix host computer at Panix. There, you have a
wide array of tools,...
Forum: Owning November 5th 08, 05:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By David Lesher
News server and software

Kobra writes:

Flyers,

My ISP (comcast) just discontinued it's usenet service. How do most
of you get on the newsgroups if your ISP does not provide newsgroup
service? I...
Forum: Owning September 30th 08, 02:33 AM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By David Lesher
PA-28-180 Low power query

writes:

Valve timing? Unchecked, but it seems like if it were out by a tooth on
the cam, it wouldn't be able to make static RPM... barely or not.

That's...
Forum: Owning September 29th 08, 10:55 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By David Lesher
PA-28-180 Low power query

Bob Noel writes:

wrote:

I could, but aside from the variable of changing to a different
propeller, a static runup will basically...
Forum: Owning September 29th 08, 06:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By David Lesher
PA-28-180 Low power query

Can you make a static test? Tie tail to large spring scale/load cell,
run it up and observe result...

[This is inspired by my memory of a drag test on the Gossamer Condor;
they used a spring scale...
Forum: Owning September 27th 08, 02:54 AM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By David Lesher
Cherokee shoulder seat belt replacement

"Jon Woellhaf" writes:

Can you take a photo of the device and post it to
alt.binaries.pictures.aviation -- or somewhere else, or email it to me?

Upload to...
Forum: Home Built September 20th 08, 11:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By David Lesher
Too Old?

The age of the aircraft in the GA field worries me more than
that of the pilots...

--
A host is a host from coast to
& no one will talk to a host that's...
Posted By David Lesher
Too Old?

The age of the aircraft in the GA field worries me more than
that of the pilots...

--
A host is a host from coast to
& no one will talk to a host that's...
Forum: Piloting September 20th 08, 11:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By David Lesher
Too Old?

The age of the aircraft in the GA field worries me more than
that of the pilots...

--
A host is a host from coast to
& no one will talk to a host that's...
Forum: Owning September 20th 08, 11:43 PM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By David Lesher
Too Old?

Cubdriver usenet AT danford DOT net writes:

Most people will place the cutoff at their own age plus twenty years or so.

That means the cutoff is 96.

I think the cutoff should be greater than...
Forum: Piloting September 20th 08, 11:43 PM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By David Lesher
Too Old?

Cubdriver usenet AT danford DOT net writes:

Most people will place the cutoff at their own age plus twenty years or so.

That means the cutoff is 96.

I think the cutoff should be greater than...
Forum: Home Built September 20th 08, 11:43 PM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By David Lesher
Too Old?

Cubdriver usenet AT danford DOT net writes:

Most people will place the cutoff at their own age plus twenty years or so.

That means the cutoff is 96.

I think the cutoff should be greater than...
Forum: Owning September 13th 08, 05:48 AM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By David Lesher
Attempted forced entry.

Matt Whiting writes:

The state police called the FBI. When they heard the size of the loss,
they had no interest either. What part of "law enforcement" had no
interest...