Search: Posts made by: Benedict Smith
Forum: Soaring June 21st 18, 08:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Benedict Smith
A complicated question about LiFePO4 batteries, - and switching.

At 08:16 21 June 2018, krasw wrote:
On Wednesday, 20 June 2018 20:15:06 UTC+3, Benedict Smith
wrote:

John,
You can connect a 12v led indicator in parallel with the fuse, it
will
Forum: Soaring June 20th 18, 06:12 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Benedict Smith
A complicated question about LiFePO4 batteries, - and switching.

At 14:56 20 June 2018,
T0hNIOKEpiBodHRwOi8vYXZpYXRpb24uZGVyb3Nhd2ViLm5ldA==
wrote:
QT,

All breakers suffer a voltage drop of some amount (see more
below).
Theref=
ore some pilots like fuses...
Forum: Soaring June 11th 17, 08:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Benedict Smith
Tost Ring Failure

The failures I have seen are not in the tost ring pair at the glider end of
the
strop but the ones further down that connect the strop to the drogue or on

either side of the weak link (a circular...
Forum: Soaring June 10th 17, 09:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Benedict Smith
Tost Ring Failure

I have personally seen 3 tost ring failures at my gliding club this season,
(the
last one only about 3 hours ago!) these were all the large rings on the
strops,
not the ring pair that goes to the...
Forum: Soaring April 5th 17, 09:12 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Benedict Smith
Improved live tracking for the SSA membership?

Sean
Have a look at the OGN wiki, there you will find details of the OGN
tracker,
the basic one can be built for around £20 (30US) and can be tracked in
exactly the same way a FLARM can, (same...
Forum: Soaring April 5th 17, 08:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Benedict Smith
Improved live tracking for the SSA membership?

At 14:30 05 April 2017, Sean Fidler wrote:
Gregg,

Eu=
rope, on the other hand, (again previously stated) developed a network of
F=
larm radar (2k per Flarm but I believe Flarm is mandatory in...
Forum: Soaring September 4th 16, 05:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Benedict Smith
emailing your log file from an iPhone

At 23:37 03 September 2016, Dave Nadler wrote:

What about using a smart phone to email the log?
Android users have a few options; Android can read a USB stick.
But what about us iPhone...
Forum: Soaring September 4th 16, 04:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Benedict Smith
emailing your log file from an iPhone

At 23:37 03 September 2016, Dave Nadler wrote:

What about using a smart phone to email the log?
Android users have a few options; Android can read a USB stick.
But what about us iPhone...
Forum: Soaring June 28th 16, 06:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Benedict Smith
weight and balance question

At 14:57 28 June 2016, WB wrote:
On Monday, June 27, 2016 at 8:30:22 PM UTC-5, Duster wrote:
Our club needs to do a weight and balance on our Grob 103 after
refinishi=
ng and some other mods....
Forum: Soaring May 20th 16, 07:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Benedict Smith
Experience with Lithium Iron Phosphate Glider batteries?

At 00:01 20 May 2016, Dave Springford wrote:
I have been using the factory installed Strobel solar system on my 29
with
=
K2 batteries for the past 4 years without issue. The Strobel...
Forum: Soaring January 8th 16, 07:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Benedict Smith
LifePO4 batteries for motorgliders - are we there yet?

At 15:00 08 January 2016, wrote:
Dan,

English not my mother language, sorry.

I occasionally charge my LiFePo4 with a "smart programmable charger" type
iMAX B6. Easy to find...
Forum: Soaring December 17th 15, 08:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Benedict Smith
Need Becker AR3201 Female 15 pin Latching Connector

At 17:04 17 December 2015, Six-Seven Romeo wrote:
Wow. That got messed up. Lets try again.

=================

@Charlie M. This isn't the very common simple screw type of secure
connection...
Forum: Soaring November 28th 15, 07:37 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Benedict Smith
Avier Naviter2 USB to serial comm drivers that work with Windows 8+

At 22:44 27 November 2015, John Duke wrote:
Does anyone have a solution for the lack of support in Windows 8 and
beyon
for USB to serial comm port drivers? The prolific driver and all...
Forum: Soaring November 25th 15, 07:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Benedict Smith
Air exit vent with engine box?

At 15:58 25 November 2015, Dan Marotta wrote:
Thanks, but wouldn't it be simpler and safer to have the electric pump
in the engine bay along with an electrically operated shutoff valve?
They...
Forum: Soaring November 1st 15, 07:43 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Benedict Smith
second PowerFlarm antenna

At 12:48 01 November 2015, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On Sunday, November 1, 2015 at 1:10:20 AM UTC-5, bumper wrote:
On Saturday, October 31, 2015 at 12:32:19 PM UTC-7,

w=
Note...
Forum: Soaring September 22nd 15, 06:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Benedict Smith
Another glider crash?

At 17:36 22 September 2015, Dan Daly wrote:

Colour vision is about the first to go when "maybe not enough O2" is a
prob=
lem; depending on it may not be the best plan. The SSA sheet with...
Forum: Soaring August 14th 15, 05:09 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Benedict Smith
SSA responds to ANPRM

So is sight not counted as a sense now? Would they prefer you to touch or
smell it?

At 22:05 13 August 2015, D M wrote:
I also caution, any glider owner/operator that is considering FLARM...
Forum: Soaring June 19th 15, 07:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Benedict Smith
Full-time Tow Pilot Wanted Immediately Tehachapi CA USA

At 05:39 19 June 2015, wrote:
According to the Cambridge dictionary, a "******" is an "unpleasant
person".

Walt, if you are serious, call Jane! I think you would like it...
Forum: Soaring May 8th 15, 04:50 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Benedict Smith
Ads-b and sailplanes

At 01:26 08 May 2015, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Thursday, May 7, 2015 at 3:15:06 PM UTC-4, Benedict Smith wrote:
The Vulcan bomber is installing PF this spring and the RAF
BBMF
have...
Forum: Soaring May 7th 15, 08:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Benedict Smith
Ads-b and sailplanes

At 07:21 07 May 2015, waremark wrote:
In Europe I don't think this is even a discussion. The risk to gliders is
nearly all glider to glider. Some GA owners are installing PF also.

Not just GA!...
Forum: Soaring March 30th 15, 06:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Benedict Smith
German-Wings Copilot

At 16:47 30 March 2015, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 07:51:26 -0700, Bruce Hoult wrote:

There have been half a dozen crashes in the last 15 years cause by
pilots going rogue....
Forum: Soaring March 21st 15, 01:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Replies: 7
OGN
Posted By Benedict Smith
OGN

At 11:42 21 March 2015, wrote:
Which is just as well, as OGN won't sell you one!
=20
Well, just to clarify- "OGN" is not selling anything to anyone....
Forum: Soaring March 18th 15, 07:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Benedict Smith
OLC posting

At 17:44 18 March 2015, wrote:
Has anyone found a way to use an iPhone to post igc files to OLC using an
S=
D card. My research indicates that Apple does not allow uploading...
Forum: Soaring March 14th 15, 05:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Benedict Smith
PowerFlarm Update?

At 15:30 14 March 2015, kirk.stant wrote:
On Saturday, March 14, 2015 at 10:18:50 AM UTC-5, pcool wrote:
Now I understand, thank you very much.
Well it seems OGN is going to pay back the...
Forum: Soaring February 22nd 15, 08:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Benedict Smith
Silver Badge questions

At 20:07 22 February 2015, Craig Funston wrote:
On Sunday, February 22, 2015 at 9:33:57 AM UTC-8, Bob Pasker wrote:
On Sunday, February 22, 2015 at 12:14:34 PM UTC-5, Craig Funston