Forum: Soaring February 19th 21, 07:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
NTSB FOIA Backlog

In January I opened an account for FOIA requests on the NTSB website. Then, I spent two weeks working with their tech support to figure out why the logins and resets weren't working. While it was...
Forum: Soaring February 11th 21, 06:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
San Antonio FSDO Terminates DPE

Apparently ethics are dead in this country.
Forum: Soaring February 11th 21, 03:24 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
San Antonio FSDO Terminates DPE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tTmapA7Yjg
Forum: Soaring February 9th 21, 06:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
NTSB Kobe

Spatial disorientation.

No real surprises.

Wes, since you stalk my posts, pass this on to George, I think you have to be pretty stupid to fly aircraft that aren't equipped or certified into IMC...
Forum: Soaring February 3rd 21, 11:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
How Have Our Soaring Vendors Fared?

It's amusing to see somebody extol the virtue of Tony Fauci as some sort of oracle.
Forum: Soaring February 2nd 21, 02:04 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Expat Retirement with soaring?

Poland, Spain or the Czech Republic top my list.
Forum: Soaring December 31st 20, 07:12 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Knowledge????

"The biggest tragedy is the influence of politics to science. If not for the political differences we wouldn't be having this discussion. Science should be science not something influenced by our...
Forum: Soaring December 29th 20, 06:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Knowledge????

On Tuesday, December 29, 2020 at 11:15:30 AM UTC-6, Eric Greenwell wrote:
2G wrote on 12/28/2020 11:19 PM:
On Monday, December 28, 2020 at 9:41:14 AM UTC-8, Bob Leve wrote:
I'm amazed at...
Forum: Soaring December 28th 20, 09:50 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
NTSB FOIA Logins?

Three browsers. Five password resets. Validated log in ID. Keep getting 'invalid username/password'. No web interface for tickets.

Any suggestions from power users?
Forum: Soaring December 28th 20, 09:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Knowledge????

On Monday, December 28, 2020 at 11:41:14 AM UTC-6, Bob Leve wrote:
I'm amazed at the number of seeming experts who are littering this site with passionately uninformed opinions yet don't seem to...
Forum: Soaring December 20th 20, 07:43 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Service Ceiling L23 - Litigation

Grand Teton is 13,776 ft. Icefloe Lake is 10,652 ft. If the first frame began at release altitude then they were slightly below and to the south of the summit of Grand Teton. In 3:09 they lost 3100...
Forum: Soaring December 18th 20, 05:03 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Service Ceiling L23 - Litigation

Thank you for the responses.

I could not find anything to support counsel's mendacious claim that the aicraft was towed or flown above any restriction either by the manufacturer or by the FAA. The...
Forum: Soaring December 17th 20, 04:06 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Service Ceiling L23 - Litigation

After reading the article I retrieved my copy of the L23 flight manual. Where does it say you can't fly it higher than 12,805 feet? There are VNE reductions calculated up to 35,000, but nowhere in it...
Forum: Soaring December 12th 20, 05:17 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
3 Alisport Silent 2 Electros for sale in Wings and Wheels.

I actually helped put one of those three into a hangar last weekend. I'm friends with the IA who just inspected it and an acquaintance of one of the owners who flies it. I've seen it fly twice and he...
Forum: Soaring December 12th 20, 03:38 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ever Wonder What's Inside a Transponder?

There's real fun to be had at 10gHz and above but only a handful of people to have the fun with.
Forum: Soaring December 8th 20, 03:45 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paraglider pilot missing in eastern Nevada

On Monday, December 7, 2020 at 6:56:22 PM UTC-6, wrote:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1chinoOOdkPzAuKzD5LW9jTR-KmqHt68Q/view?usp=sharing

Accident report write up....
Forum: Soaring November 28th 20, 01:37 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Inadvertant IMC - DG1000, Manawatu, New Zealand

I actually know of a chief flight instructor at a club that I no longer fly at who did this three times with three different people earlier this year.

But until somebody ends up dead there isn't a...
Forum: Soaring November 23rd 20, 01:43 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Inadvertant IMC - DG1000, Manawatu, New Zealand

This happens more often than you might think.

At a club where I used to fly there is a chief flight instructor who does this on a regular basis. Apparently the entire board of directors at that...
Forum: Soaring November 21st 20, 08:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soaring Club Financials

Haven't seen much discussion of this topic and I'm rather curious what the consensus is. I know of some clubs that did not open this year. Other clubs opened late and still others opened and just as...
Forum: Soaring October 17th 20, 04:21 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
§ 61.87 (i)

On Tuesday, October 13, 2020 at 8:47:42 PM UTC-5, Tony wrote:
On Tuesday, October 13, 2020 at 11:05:35 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Concerning Burt’s comment on the FAA exemption...
Forum: Soaring October 1st 20, 03:43 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rope Breaks (Grilling sacred cows)

Thank you for the replies and for expanding a bit on the topic. My intent was to be inclusive of both actual and simulated rope breaks in a flight regime where a turn is at least possible whether or...
Forum: Soaring September 29th 20, 04:51 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rope Breaks (Grilling sacred cows)

Does anybody have a first hand account of a rope break in which a canopy was factually damaged because the pilot did not make an immediate turn to the left or right?

Please note:This is not my...
Forum: Soaring September 28th 20, 02:17 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tow plane wanted

Gary Davis has a Calair 260hp that I think is 20hrs SMOH. Its listed on Wingsandwheels.