Search: Posts made by: Roy B.
Forum: Soaring June 29th 20, 02:31 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
FAA suspends Bruno Vassel's Pilot Certificate

Gotta watch out for those "pesky park rangers, Yogi".

Well BooBoo, that's one answer. But smaller registration numbers on the Cub would have helped, too.
ROY
Forum: Soaring June 29th 20, 02:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
FAA suspends Bruno Vassel's Pilot Certificate

So motoring down a ridge is infraction if hikers are there ?????

That is correct. read FAR 91.119 (c):

"Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft...
Forum: Soaring June 29th 20, 01:33 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
FAA suspends Bruno Vassel's Pilot Certificate

"Have I missed something.... I notice on yesterday's OLC that he posted a flight on OLC in his 27."

A suspension usually begins 30 days from the date of the order.
Roy
Forum: Soaring June 28th 20, 03:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
FAA suspends Bruno Vassel's Pilot Certificate

The sad part about this is that while the suspension ends after a few months the effect of it goes on forever in insurance applications ("Have you ever had any enforcement actions?"), in Glider club...
Forum: Soaring June 14th 20, 04:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Commodious Rodent Entrance in Grob 103

Old fashioned method that still works:
Partially fill a couple of old socks with regular naphthalene mothballs and put the socks inside the cockpit and wings. Mice hate the smell and go away. Of...
Forum: Soaring June 3rd 20, 07:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Landout at Class C or D tower-controlled airport?

David,
I agree with you that "intuitively, landing at an airport is safer than a land out" but the reason I challenged your statement that ""did you know that nearly 50% of glider landing fatalities...
Forum: Soaring June 3rd 20, 01:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Landout at Class C or D tower-controlled airport?

David:
What is the source or reference for this statement?

"did you know that nearly 50% of glider landing fatalities happen during off-airport landings"

I've studied glider accidents for years...
Forum: Soaring May 31st 20, 01:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Problem with OLC Saturday 5-30?

Also - When I posted my flight yesterday I didn't get the typical canned " Thank you Your Flight has been posted successfully" email - and the flight is shown without the usual terrain background. ...
Forum: Soaring May 31st 20, 03:25 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Problem with OLC Saturday 5-30?

Everybody in the US is scored zero right now .
Go to Daily score, North America, USA and you see all of the flights with zero.
Roy
Forum: Soaring May 31st 20, 01:36 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Landout at Class C or D tower-controlled airport?

I have had lots of experience with this flying gliders in New England where there is much controlled airspace. I have found that a lot depends on whether you sound (on the radio) like you know what...
Forum: Soaring May 29th 20, 04:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Buying a 1-35 pros and cons?

Tim:
I owned a "C" model (fixed gear) in a syndicate for many years. I went to it with many hundreds of prior hours hours in other flapped gliders so it was hardly my first ship. But this is what I...
Forum: Soaring May 28th 20, 03:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
SCHWEIZER 1-26 or 1-35

Try: https://www.klsoaring.com/

ROY
Forum: Soaring May 26th 20, 05:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Private airport or small field for landout?

Amen to Evan's comments about airports. And - don't believe contest databases about what is an "airfield" either. Last year at the Hobbs 18m Nationals I was faced with a doubtful final glide into...
Forum: Soaring May 26th 20, 01:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Open 2-Seater Trailer F/S with possible immediate delivery

Thanks Mike - I've been in touch with Steve and we will meet up here tomorrow.
ROY
Forum: Soaring May 26th 20, 01:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Private airport or small field for landout?

Just curious - would you really have to explain your decision-making to an insurance adjuster? Could they deny a claim due to a bad choice?

The answer is "No" - we buy insurance in part because we...
Forum: Soaring May 26th 20, 03:15 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Open 2-Seater Trailer F/S with possible immediate delivery

Mike:
Can you confirm that the trailer will be coming to Boston this week? We need a trailer for our Puchacz here in Mass.
ROY
Forum: Soaring May 26th 20, 02:19 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Private airport or small field for landout?

Ben:
While generally a private airstrip is better than a soft farm field, a good rule is to never set up a final glide to a private airfield that you have not seen recently - even if just from the...
Forum: Soaring May 23rd 20, 03:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
2020 Accidents & Insurance, usa

Is there more info on the other accidents that happened this year even though the season barely started in most of the country?

Ramy:
You can also search Google for these NTSB...
Forum: Soaring May 20th 20, 09:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
2020 Accidents & Insurance, usa

Hi Cindy:
I think that you are correct that the chief cause of most glider kiting accidents is glider pilot distraction. And, in my experience there are two major causes of glider pilot distraction...
Forum: Soaring May 16th 20, 03:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Guidelines or formulas for how much water to dump in narrow orweak thermal racing?

Ben:
The best advice I ever got on the subject was, "If you are thinking about dumping the water, DUMP IT!" And that has remained pretty good advice.

The question you have to ask yourself is "why am...
Forum: Soaring April 24th 20, 08:07 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Flarm picking up my transponder

You'd think that with all the sophisticated algorithms FLARM uses to predict collisions, that they could also figure out a way to identify a tow plane that was towing a glider and not make it...
Forum: Soaring April 24th 20, 04:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Flarm picking up my transponder

I have a similar problem on tow behind a tow plane with newly installed ADS-B out. The glider Flarm goes nuts. Any fixes for this (besides shutting something off)?
ROY
Forum: Soaring April 24th 20, 02:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
1-26 Price

John:
Nostalgia for the "old days" can sometimes color perception. In 1992 when my son turned 15 we purchased an excellent condition Silver Anniversary 1-26E (with a good open trailer) for $6500. ...
Forum: Soaring April 22nd 20, 05:19 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Time for Separate 18m Records?

OK - But moving past the diversion to a motor glider/sustainer discussion, it remains the case that the FAI and many countries hold a separate championship for 18 meter gliders. If the class deserves...
Forum: Soaring April 22nd 20, 01:46 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Time for Separate 18m Records?

Jfitch wrote:
"produce an example of a record owned by a motorglider that was achieved by flying too low over unlandable terrain. If you cannot, then you have no argument."

The reason for no...