Forum: Soaring February 17th 18, 08:29 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
National 425 Parachute for sale

This is the same Allen Silver who took it upon himself to be "the enforcer" regarding his 20 year rule (from another thread on RAS a couple of years ago):

"I sent my Pioneer chute to Alan Silver a...
Forum: Soaring February 17th 18, 01:19 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
National 425 Parachute for sale

I ran into this years ago. I had a National canopy in a different container.. I worked not far from National's shop then so I would just drop it off/pick it up and chat. They warned me a year ahead...
Forum: Soaring February 15th 18, 06:19 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Proper Way to Insert Multi-Probe

I ended up with a jar of what is labeled "O-Ring Grease" from way back. Probably from the swimming pool store. I also use it on my water ballast valves.

I add a very little to the multiprobe a few...
Forum: Soaring February 14th 18, 11:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Worried about a leading edge crack in the fiberglass winglaminate of my PW-5

On Wednesday, February 14, 2018 at 10:34:19 AM UTC-5, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 6:04:36 PM UTC-5, wrote:
what's a LAME?

Many postings on...
Forum: Soaring February 13th 18, 11:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Region 6 North Adrian, MI: June 30 - July 7

Adrian was my first regional contest, in our 1-26, in 1969, when I was 18. A split weekend affair. We got one or two days in early but a tornado went through the airport and tore up a bunch of...
Forum: Soaring February 12th 18, 11:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RIP Matt Wright (Balleka on YouTube)

I've owned my ASW 24 for 26 years and have about 1,500 hours, including many national and regional contests. Lots of field landings (haha). The air brakes, in my opinion, are hardly "weak". I know...
Forum: Soaring February 12th 18, 04:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Worried about a leading edge crack in the fiberglass winglaminate of my PW-5

I've been solo rigging since 1982 almost every time I fly (originally my LS-3 but for the last 26 years, my ASW 24). I haven't built any WingMates in a while (maybe in the future) but one of the...
Forum: Soaring February 10th 18, 12:53 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hard Deck

Woke up this morning and for the first time in weeks (months?), there were NO NEW "HARD DECK" POSTS. It couldn't last. And didn't. But we're close, I think, now that we all agree. ;)

Chip Bearden
Forum: Soaring February 8th 18, 11:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hard Deck

I agree the hard deck concept has been well discussed (haha), with few new insights since the debate began on another thread. What HAS been revealed are a couple of philospohical differences.

1. I...
Forum: Soaring February 4th 18, 02:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hard Deck

Same thing happened to me when I was independently querying the NTSB database a few nights ago. Twice I read fatality reports involving pilots I knew were still around (e.g., KS)! Turns out there...
Forum: Soaring February 3rd 18, 01:52 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hard Deck

On Friday, February 2, 2018 at 6:11:23 PM UTC-5, John Cochrane wrote:
Meanwhile, when we put in a low speed start system and higher finishes, those crashes ended.

We can debate the finish gate...
Forum: Soaring February 2nd 18, 06:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hard Deck

On Friday, February 2, 2018 at 7:32:47 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Our gliders have evolved allot in the past 5 decades - I know as technology advanced in a bunch of high speed sports (...
Forum: Soaring January 31st 18, 11:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hard Deck

What P3 said. Despite the impressive Reg. 2 numbers, most soaring pilots DON'T want to fly contests...for various reasons. No problem, unless they're misinformed about what really goes on at a...
Forum: Soaring January 28th 18, 07:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hard Deck

I don't know whether I understand John's proposal better or if he's modifying it in the process of these online negotiations. :)

I re-read his "Contest Safety" presentation again, which I had...
Forum: Soaring January 27th 18, 01:03 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RIP Tomas Reich - SGP Chile

SUA space is no different than any obstacle. Your flight computer tells you if you are going to clear the far edge. If it doesn't, I can suggest about 5 flight computers that will. We already do...
Forum: Soaring January 26th 18, 11:09 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hard Deck

I also think the start cylinder can be a place where it's very tempting to thermal low, no one wants to relight in front of the entire field, slow up the launch, etc. Tough be be penalized before...
Forum: Soaring January 26th 18, 11:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tying down a fiber glass ship.

Back in the day, the rubber-steel bond in the torsional springs at the top of the LS landing gear struts sometimes weakened/failed. The symptom was a fuselage that settled lower and lower to the...
Forum: Soaring January 26th 18, 10:17 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RIP Tomas Reich - SGP Chile

On Friday, January 26, 2018 at 1:11:22 PM UTC-5, krasw wrote:
I have not read a single sound argument against hard deck altitude in this thread, not a single one. Makes me think we should...
Forum: Soaring January 26th 18, 08:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RIP Tomas Reich - SGP Chile

I would add:

4. The paradigm of more rules=fewer opportunities for pilots with better skills to be rewarded for them.
5. Some pilots are [mostly] in agreement with the many rules changes that have...
Forum: Soaring January 26th 18, 04:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RIP Tomas Reich - SGP Chile

When I bought my last glider, the Discus was all the rage. I paid more to get the ASW 24 because of its crashworthy safety cockpit. I also ordered the canopy wire deflector bar and added a 6-point...
Forum: Soaring January 25th 18, 11:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RIP Tomas Reich - SGP Chile

As always, John makes some excellent points. As occasionally happens, I don't necessarily agree with all of them. :)

Bob restated my thesis much more accurately and succinctly. It's not the risk,...
Forum: Soaring January 25th 18, 01:14 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RIP Tomas Reich - SGP Chile

Like 9B, I've known more people who have been killed in glider accidents than by any other cause: 14, of which 8 were at contests and another 4 who were active competition pilots arguably on training...
Forum: Soaring January 15th 18, 10:50 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
1-26 Utilization and Participation

I agree. When I was starting out, the 1-26 class had events at local contests that were often well attended. We took our 1-26 to several regionals (pretty hopeless but I learned a lot). I flew it in...
Forum: Soaring January 15th 18, 07:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Parachute Lumbar Bladder

I used an inflatable rubberized fabric camping pillow for a while. Just bought a rubber inflating bulb from a medical supply house and connected it with some plastic tubing. Worked great. The bulbs...
Forum: Soaring January 15th 18, 07:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
When to get a parachute?

I agree; you can put off that decision. I'm a tall pilot, too, and each glider is different. If the chute is critical to helping you fit into the cockpit comfortably, the critical factor could be...