Mike Westbrook Downwind Dash by Tony[_5_]
Mike made a nice flight today from Texas Soaring Association to Port Aransas, TX, around 550km. He put some awesome pictures on Facebook of the wing of his discus out over the Gulf of Mexico! Not too bad of a flight for late February. Beautiful! Nice flight Mike!
Today 06:55 AM
by kinsell Go to last post
2 14 Soaring
LiFePo Refit Part 23 AC by Shaun Wheeler
SLA needs replacement and aircraft is part 23 utility. A LiFePo in the same foot print would be great, I definitely see folks using them and no less than three online stores selling them. So I started looking at AC 20-184 which seems to be the FAA equivalent of trial by ordeal. Okay, I get it....
Today 06:43 AM
by 2G Go to last post
3 18 Soaring
Crazies At The Gliderport by Bob Youngblood
I recently thought that I had seen it all until someone informed me that a guy was taking his dog for a glider ride. Now please understand I love dogs, have a wonderful Yellow Lab and treat her like our kid. Really never thought dogs and planes went well together, but what in the world would any...
by 2G Go to last post
17 54 Soaring
A couple SSA 2020 convention presentations online... by Dave Nadler
First thanks to the volunteers who helped with recording, and thanks to Spence for his work on the first presentation. Sorry I didn't manage a better job with the audio. Anyway, the talks a 1) Bail-Out Aftermath — Lessons Learned. 2) OSTIV: Motor-glider Unreliability: Examples, Systemic...
Today 03:56 AM
by Shaun Wheeler Go to last post
2 24 Soaring
KML to IGC conversion? by Papa3[_2_]
I know there are a lot of threads regarding conversion of .IGC to .KML format, but does anyone know of a tool to go the opposite direction. Obviously, some of the header records etc would need to be "dummied", but I'm only really interested in being able to step through B Records using SeeYou or...
Today 02:51 AM
by Todd Go to last post
3 18 Soaring
If I Was Mayor of Saskatoon (Part One) –By Daryl Kabatoff by Daryl Kabatoff
If I Was Mayor of Saskatoon (Part One) –By Daryl Kabatoff If I was mayor of the City of Saskatoon I’d end of the money grab of the 30 km/hour school zones… The schools should post reduced speeds but with illuminated, blinkin’ and more frequent signage. There should be no fine print on...
Today 01:55 AM
by Daryl Kabatoff Go to last post
0 15 Rotorcraft
If I Was Mayor of Saskatoon (Part Three) –By Daryl Kabatoff by Daryl Kabatoff
If I Was Mayor of Saskatoon (Part Three) –By Daryl Kabatoff All fertility cults are worthy of being mocked, and allowing this mockery to continue is vital to maintaining a free and democratic society. Doukhobors faced brutal persecution in Russia then came to Canada and faced additional...
Today 01:53 AM
by Daryl Kabatoff Go to last post
0 12 Rotorcraft
Uber For The Flying Public? by Larry Dighera
www.avweb.com/aviation-news/business-aviation-news/surf-air-acquires-blackbird/ Surf Air Acquires BlackBird Kate O'ConnorFebruary 25, 20200 Image: Surf Air California-based Surf Air has acquired BlackBird, an online aviation marketplace that pairs passengers with private aircraft owners...
Yesterday 09:29 PM
by Larry Dighera Go to last post
0 13 Piloting
Cobra trailer tail skids by BobWa43
Has anyone installed the Cobra trailer skids sold by Wings and Wheels? Any info on how to properly place the threaded backing plates is appreciated.
E85 Tost for sale? by Jim S
Anybody have one for sale?
Yesterday 07:40 PM
by Jim S Go to last post
0 12 Soaring
John Deere Gator TX 2WD by [email protected]
Does anyone own one of these? Our glider club may be looking to replace a golf cart and I'm wondering if this would be a more durable solution. Primary use would be to tow gliders around the field. Does yours have enough low-end torque to tow a glider at a walking pace? How reliable has it been?...
Yesterday 06:02 PM
by Tony[_5_] Go to last post
6 35 Soaring
ELY 2020 by [email protected]
Good news for Ely soaring fans. First, great thanks to Keith for providing his Cessna and arranging tow pilot. Towing service in Ely will be available from June 29 until July 18 for 10 pilots. Reservation fee is 150 $ per week. Weekly increments only. Towing cost will be based per tach time,...
SSA Conventions. Return to every year? by Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas
Seeing old friends, making new friends and putting faces to names in this age of sterile social media communication is a reason why the SSA Directors might consider a return to the annual SSA Conventions of the past. Just because you might be my "friend" on Facebook doesn't necessarily mean that we...
Helium bubbles used to show bird aerodynamics by John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net
https://youtu.be/2sh8_3-R90I At 0:58 in the video the bird's wingtip vortices are described as "This helps provide lift". This statement caught my eye. However, Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wingtip_device) mentions that "Wingtip devices increase the lift generated at the wingtip (by...
Yesterday 03:26 PM
by Richard Livingston Go to last post
3 24 Soaring
If I Was Mayor of Saskatoon (Part One) –By Daryl Kabatoff by Daryl Kabatoff
If I Was Mayor of Saskatoon (Part One) –By Daryl Kabatoff If I was mayor of the City of Saskatoon I’d end of the money grab of the 30 km/hour school zones… The schools should post reduced speeds but with illuminated, blinkin’ and more frequent signage. There should be no fine print on...
Yesterday 03:04 PM
by Daryl Kabatoff Go to last post
0 15 Home Built
If I Was Mayor of Saskatoon (Part Three) –By Daryl Kabatoff by Daryl Kabatoff
If I Was Mayor of Saskatoon (Part Three) –By Daryl Kabatoff All fertility cults are worthy of being mocked, and allowing this mockery to continue is vital to maintaining a free and democratic society. Doukhobors faced brutal persecution in Russia then came to Canada and faced additional...
Yesterday 03:02 PM
by Daryl Kabatoff Go to last post
0 12 Home Built
Andy McQuigg by [email protected]
Andy flew his final glide last Wednesday night. You will be missed EA! Whenever we have more information, we will pass information about his memorial service. Enrique Mertins KO
by Paul Remde Go to last post
22 97 Soaring
Pawnee Tow Release by Bob Youngblood
I am currently rebuilding another Pawnee and converting from a spray plane to a tow plane. Extensive work has been completed on this bird, and I am about ready to install the tow hook. This is the third Pawnee that I have converted and I have used the hopper dump handle as the tow release handle...