Search: Posts made by: Matt Herron Jr.
Forum: Soaring May 14th 21, 06:29 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Matt Herron Jr.
is skysight down?

I can't seem to get it to load all day.
Forum: Soaring April 25th 21, 06:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Matt Herron Jr.
FLARM Fusion Range

Ramy,

How do you find out if you are blacklisted?

Matt

On Sunday, April 25, 2021 at 8:43:18 AM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
Those reports rarely come completely clean. My guess it is since we cranking...
Forum: Soaring April 25th 21, 02:09 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Matt Herron Jr.
FLARM Fusion Range

Darryl

I don't have your current email. Please email me at matt (at) digital shorts (dot) com.

MattOn Saturday, April 24, 2021 at 5:07:51 PM UTC-7, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Saturday, April 24, 2021...
Forum: Soaring April 24th 21, 08:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Matt Herron Jr.
FLARM Fusion Range

ads-b update

I looked at the FAA report for two other pilots that flew out of the Williams area on Friday 4/16, Ramy (...
Forum: Soaring April 24th 21, 02:21 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Matt Herron Jr.
FLARM Fusion Range

Interestingly, Andy B (9B) had the same altitude errors on the same day I did. See the report he https://www.dropbox.com/s/yzst4lmpri6iqup/PAPR_20210417_A48072_451948690.pdf?dl=0

Possible GPS...
Forum: Soaring April 24th 21, 01:56 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Matt Herron Jr.
FLARM Fusion Range

All connections and pins look good on the trig setup...

On Friday, April 23, 2021 at 4:41:44 PM UTC-7, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
Another thought on ADS-B. I did an annual a month ago, and the seat...
Forum: Soaring April 24th 21, 12:41 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Matt Herron Jr.
FLARM Fusion Range

Another thought on ADS-B. I did an annual a month ago, and the seat pan had to come out. The antenna lead runs under it. Crushed coax? Also, to replace the Fusion, I had to unplug the Trig box. ...
Forum: Soaring April 24th 21, 12:36 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Matt Herron Jr.
FLARM Fusion Range

Hi Darryl

Thanks for the ADS-B heads up. I checked the software, and it is at V2.12, FPGA v1.2 The controller is V1.14 so there must be some other problem. You helped me configure the system in...
Forum: Soaring April 22nd 21, 04:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Matt Herron Jr.
FLARM Fusion Range

Hi Rich,

You are correct in that the lower portion of the antenna gets very close to the canopy frame. The upper portion does as well. This was done to get as much forward and rearward view for...
Forum: Soaring April 22nd 21, 06:25 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Matt Herron Jr.
FLARM Fusion Range

Hi Darryl,

Here is a link to the pix. Sadly they are TIFFs: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dhe9415hdmlbza2/AACGQrloyRRG92ZB5VFoQ9eMa?dl=0
Yes, I am talking FLARM A, and B. ADS-B is dead center up...
Forum: Soaring April 22nd 21, 06:15 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Matt Herron Jr.
Time to hang it up?

Hey JJ,

Even if you truly have decided not to fly any more, you will continue to be an inspiration to us all. I will always remember the advice, encouragement, and especially the stories you told...
Forum: Soaring April 21st 21, 03:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Matt Herron Jr.
FLARM Fusion Range

Thanks for the suggestions Rich.

The tops of the dipoles are very close to the canopy plex (by design) and I think one is even touching. How would the non conducting canopy hurt the signal? I...
Forum: Soaring April 21st 21, 02:16 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Matt Herron Jr.
FLARM Fusion Range

You make a lot of sense Dave. Thanks for the analysis and link. Interference might explain the lopsided reception as well. I have a ferrite sampler kit, but not much experience killing noise in a...
Forum: Soaring April 20th 21, 11:17 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Matt Herron Jr.
FLARM Fusion Range

Fair enough, but there were 5-6 gliders in the air, including you. I thermaled with many of them in the same thermal.

Matt

On Tuesday, April 20, 2021 at 11:44:15 AM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
Matt,
Forum: Soaring April 20th 21, 06:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Matt Herron Jr.
FLARM Fusion Range

Hi guys,

I just installed a FLARM Fusion and am getting some very poor results. The antennas are installed symmetrically on either side of the canopy rail (see photographs) in an ASW27b. They clip...
Forum: Soaring March 11th 21, 01:19 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Matt Herron Jr.
SPOT replacement

I recently lost my SPOT gen 3 while mountain biking, and I thought I would share my experience.

First I looked for a tracking signal on the map. There were none. I did notice the device was turned...
Forum: Soaring February 13th 21, 05:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Matt Herron Jr.
FS: PowerFLARM Core V1 $950+shipping

Now is a great time to add that FLARM you have been thinking about!

This is the original PowerFLARM Core, which includes GPS antenna, ADS-B antenna, both A and BĀ*FLARM antennas, DB9 power cable,...
Forum: Soaring January 31st 21, 07:42 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Matt Herron Jr.
USA automated panel-cutting service?

I looked through that list of avionics and didn't find much that a glider pilot would be interested in. However, when I re-did my asw27b panel I modeled all the instruments in Solidworks. This...
Forum: Soaring January 27th 21, 07:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Matt Herron Jr.
USA automated panel-cutting service?

Rex cut my panel for my 27b. I too recommend modeling the instruments in 3D, especially near the edges of the panel, and for depth behind the panel. I discovered many issues prior to cutting the...
Forum: Soaring January 19th 21, 07:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Matt Herron Jr.
FLARM releases firmware for ADS-R and TIS-B

Ramy;

I am curious to know what your experience with fusion is also. What is your antenna set-up? Range get better or worse? coverage get better or worse? Did you have the same antenna set-up...
Forum: Soaring January 18th 21, 11:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Matt Herron Jr.
FLARM releases firmware for ADS-R and TIS-B

If true, that's very clever!

On Monday, January 18, 2021 at 1:12:55 PM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Matt Herron Jr. wrote on 1/18/2021 11:12 AM:
Question;

The FCC limits the amount...
Forum: Soaring January 18th 21, 08:12 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Matt Herron Jr.
FLARM releases firmware for ADS-R and TIS-B

Question;

The FCC limits the amount of power that can be broadcast on the FLARM frequency. Given that the new fusion FLARM x-mitts on both antennas, does this mean that each antenna is putting out...
Forum: Soaring January 9th 21, 10:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Matt Herron Jr.
How Have Our Soaring Vendors Fared?

could on-site rapid testing be implemented for all SSA sanctioned contests this year? I realize its better to get tested 5 days prior and then quarantine, but its better than nothing.

On Thursday,...
Forum: Soaring December 20th 20, 08:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Matt Herron Jr.
LX5000 for sale

LX5000 by LX Navigation, including various, iPaq adaptor, and lots of ipaq PDAs of various vintages. Powers up and functions as far as I can tell. but If you have issues, I will buy it back (minus...