Search: Posts made by: Bret Hess
Forum: Soaring June 11th 21, 04:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bret Hess
Groupflights: Recent personal records set in your club/group andrecent/all-time top flights

Groupflights, a new Python program, now updates club/group web pages to show recent personal flight distance and speed improvements, recent top flights and all-time top flights. Updated daily from...
Forum: Soaring June 11th 21, 04:50 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bret Hess
Groupflights: Recent personal records set in your club/group andrecent/all-time flightstop flights

Groupflights, a new Python program, now updates club/group web pages to show recent personal flight distance and speed improvements, recent top flights and all-time top flights. Updated daily from...
Forum: Soaring June 2nd 21, 06:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bret Hess
Are areas of sink modeled well in Condor2?

I would say it's modeled well in the sense that it often appears when you don't expect it! It's very good for training. I remember losing my wings in Condor because I kept pushing the speed to get...
Forum: Soaring May 30th 21, 12:42 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bret Hess
Groupflights: Flight aggregation and alerts from Weglide, OLC and SkyLines:

Would you like to know when members of your club (or any other group) post flights? Groupflights is a free Python program that aggregates, publishes and archives glider flight information and tracks...
Forum: Soaring April 5th 21, 04:39 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bret Hess
PIK 20 Parts

The group is at https://groups.google.com/g/pik20 , with files archive and a forum. Chuck Lohre posted in Dec that he had some Hotellier connectors for Pik20D for sale. Probably the same for B?
Forum: Soaring March 3rd 21, 05:16 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bret Hess
2022 SSA Convention?

I went to a convention in New Orleans in March once...it was great.
Forum: Soaring February 18th 21, 05:26 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bret Hess
National Parachute 20 + yr repack/inspection

On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 10:19:21 PM UTC-7, Bret Hess wrote:
"Would they touch a 40-year-old 'chute (that is in great shape)?"
Tests show no change in strength for parachutes stored out...
Forum: Soaring February 18th 21, 05:24 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bret Hess
National Parachute 20 + yr repack/inspection

On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 10:19:21 PM UTC-7, Bret Hess wrote:
"Would they touch a 40-year-old 'chute (that is in great shape)?"
Tests show no change in strength for parachutes stored out...
Forum: Soaring February 18th 21, 05:19 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bret Hess
National Parachute 20 + yr repack/inspection

"Would they touch a 40-year-old 'chute (that is in great shape)?"

Tests show no change in strength for parachutes stored out of sunlight for 30 years. See...
Forum: Soaring January 26th 21, 05:42 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bret Hess
Weglide.org

skylines.aero is integrating with the weglide platform in some way. You can see the developments at https://github.com/skylines-project/skylines/search?q=weglide&type=commits
Forum: Soaring November 26th 20, 04:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bret Hess
Android Galaxy note device for xcsoar ?

Thanks, just ordered a Note 4.

To get max brightness allowed, make sure the brightness is set on Auto.
Forum: Soaring November 26th 20, 05:36 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bret Hess
Android Galaxy note device for xcsoar ?

Galaxy Note 4 works great. And you can replace the battery easily.
Forum: Soaring November 14th 20, 07:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bret Hess
Learn to fly in half the time?

DARPA has discovered an interesting and easy way to train pilots in half the time! No doubt this applies to other complex learning tasks as well.

Pretty big claims in that article without...
Forum: Soaring October 4th 20, 05:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bret Hess
eamXC cooperative Condor soaring and OLC+ type flights this fall

Hi, we're starting our flights again after a summer break. If you're interested in OLC+ type flights on Condor and cooperative flying, join us at www.teamxc.us/about-us, and we can help you get...
Forum: Soaring September 18th 20, 03:36 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bret Hess
Pilot Schedule: Excellent soaring club scheduling and communication service

After a lot of research last winter Utah Soaring Association switched our glider scheduling and communications (email) software to Pilot Schedule (pilotschedule.com). The support has been great ......
Forum: Soaring August 18th 20, 09:50 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bret Hess
You can now try Ramy’s scary outlanding on Lake Tahoe golf course on Condor

Here's a link again to the random wind practice task...the previous link didn't paste well:

http://199.192.98.227:8080/landscapes-zip/Lake_Tahoe_golf_course_land_random_wind_1000_ftAGL.fpl
Forum: Soaring August 18th 20, 08:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bret Hess
You can now try Ramy’s scary outlanding on Lake Tahoe golf course on Condor

Correction: reading Ramy's description again, the ground loop was from some bushes he caught. But still, he's close to the trees at the end!
Forum: Soaring August 18th 20, 08:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bret Hess
You can now try Ramy’s scary outlanding on Lake Tahoe golf course on Condor

Ramy completed the real-life very challenging outlanding in a tailwind, uphill. His glider had a little damage from a groundloop. I’m guessing he did the groundloop because he was very close to...
Forum: Soaring July 27th 20, 06:31 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bret Hess
Condor 2

I can't help with this issue but using TrackIR 4 or 5 is a good way to get better viewing than 3 monitors for not much money or hassle.
Forum: Soaring June 24th 20, 04:18 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bret Hess
Paint for white fiberglass trailer top

The HC-2500 Amerflint II polyurethane is 2K. You mix in the hardener. It's called "Single stage" which means its gloss comes with a single application (no clearcoat needed).
Forum: Soaring June 24th 20, 04:12 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bret Hess
Paint for white fiberglass trailer top

On Tuesday, June 23, 2020 at 9:08:16 PM UTC-6, Bret Hess wrote:
I painted my trailer with HC-2500 Amerflint II polyurethane from Tamco paint.

For primer I used...
Forum: Soaring June 24th 20, 04:08 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bret Hess
Paint for white fiberglass trailer top

I painted my trailer with HC-2500 Amerflint II polyurethane from Tamco paint. It's been in sun and snow year around for 3 years and still looks like it did the day I painted it. It's...
Forum: Soaring June 22nd 20, 05:22 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bret Hess
Flying pants

On Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 9:38:41 PM UTC-6, wrote:
I love the Sahara Roll-up pants from REI.

Roll-up is a good idea.* I was thinking that throwing all style (decorum)...
Forum: Soaring June 20th 20, 05:15 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bret Hess
Flying pants

On Friday, June 19, 2020 at 8:03:24 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Cargo pants are like the Ray Ban case on the belt. Darn convenient but only used by “Mature” men.

And cargo shorts?
Forum: Soaring June 17th 20, 11:17 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bret Hess
Flying pants

On Sunday, June 14, 2020 at 12:36:41 PM UTC-6, Mike N. wrote:
Seriously? $100 for a pair of MC Hammer pocket pants?
LMAO

Yeah but if you have flying pants you don't need a glider.