Search: Posts made by: Scott Skylane
Forum: Piloting May 5th 09, 08:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Scott Skylane
Feathering an engine

Flanagan wrote:
/snip/
Can anyone clarify this? Does one feather an engine simply to reduce
the drag generated by the angle of the propeller, or it is also to stop
the engine from turning? If...
Forum: Owning February 20th 09, 08:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By Scott Skylane
Mooney M20E io360 low voltage problem

Robert M. Gary wrote:

On Feb 19, 11:51 am, Scott Skylane wrote:

Robert M. Gary wrote:

That is the "GEM" until (that is what EI has traditionally...
Forum: Owning February 19th 09, 07:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By Scott Skylane
Mooney M20E io360 low voltage problem

Robert M. Gary wrote:

That is the "GEM" until (that is what EI has traditionally called
their product). /snip/
-Robert

Um, no. See http://www.insightavionics.com/gem610.htm
Forum: Owning February 19th 09, 08:35 AM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By Scott Skylane
Mooney M20E io360 low voltage problem

Robert M. Gary wrote:

Its the engine monitor product made by JPI. GEM makes one as well.
There are some additional companies that make simple gauges to just
show the temps but those are the...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules January 24th 09, 12:08 AM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Scott Skylane
trivial pursuit: international terminal forecast (TAF)

nick name wrote:
Canceling a flight because of weather can lead to some unusual
pursuits. While getting a weather briefing, I came across the
following snippet which is part of the Fallon (NAS)...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules December 18th 08, 12:49 AM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Scott Skylane
Use of Anti Icing

Andy wrote:
On Dec 3, 11:13 am, Sam Spade wrote:

Most airliners cannot use wing de-ice until after takeoff and at not
less than 400 feet; sometimes higher. The bleed...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules November 28th 08, 05:43 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Scott Skylane
Garmin 530 waas

Viperdoc wrote:
/snip/

Right now I'm facing replacing 10 switches at 200 each since Beech thinks
there's something wrong with them, although they've worked fine for over 25
years.

Forum: General Aviation October 30th 08, 03:43 AM Posted to rec.aviation.misc
Posted By Scott Skylane
Flashing landing lights?

Potatora wrote:

On Oct 29, 2:38 pm, Scott Skylane wrote:

No, he means that the flashing enhances the visibility of the aircraft
to others in the area. The human...
Forum: General Aviation October 29th 08, 08:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.misc
Posted By Scott Skylane
Flashing landing lights?

Potatora wrote:

The flashing lights enhance visibility.

Well, duh, I guess the would. But why would visibility need to be
enhanced? It was unlimited already, not a cloud in the sky. Why...
Forum: Owning September 10th 08, 11:25 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By Scott Skylane
Attempted forced entry.

Jon Woellhaf wrote:
/snip/
The plane is hangared at BJC (Metro, Denver, CO) and I'm quite certain the
attempted forced entry didn't occur there, because I never lock the plane
when it's in...
Forum: General Aviation August 21st 08, 07:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.misc
Posted By Scott Skylane
AIrcraft ID Help

Every time wrote:
Hi, all

I wonder if anyone could do me a favor, check out the web page link
below, and identify the TOP plane? It's a large, turbo passenger
plane of some kind, I...
Forum: Piloting June 26th 08, 09:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Scott Skylane
Historical NOTAMs

Robert Moore wrote:

jimp

In your research, how many volcanoes did you find that had any effect
on aviation in the past 50 years?

Well....I've done no research, but I know of at...
Forum: Owning June 19th 08, 05:13 AM Posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By Scott Skylane
ARC Wiring Diagrams

Darrel Toepfer wrote:

At this point I'd be happy for anything... Thanks... This is a valid
reply address from the national providers, but you can use my last name
and any of the...
Forum: Home Built June 19th 08, 05:13 AM Posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By Scott Skylane
ARC Wiring Diagrams

Darrel Toepfer wrote:

At this point I'd be happy for anything... Thanks... This is a valid
reply address from the national providers, but you can use my last name
and any of the...
Forum: Home Built June 18th 08, 01:47 AM Posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By Scott Skylane
ARC Wiring Diagrams

Darrel Toepfer wrote:
I have a recently purchased (eBay) Aircraft Radio Corporation audio
control panel with R-402 Marker Beacon Receiver. I don't have the wiring
diagrams or operations...
Forum: Owning June 18th 08, 01:47 AM Posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By Scott Skylane
ARC Wiring Diagrams

Darrel Toepfer wrote:
I have a recently purchased (eBay) Aircraft Radio Corporation audio
control panel with R-402 Marker Beacon Receiver. I don't have the wiring
diagrams or operations...
Forum: Piloting June 7th 08, 01:02 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Scott Skylane
Ram air

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Found it. This your guy?

Looks like probably only one was made.

http://www.schlattersinc.com/Foo_Mobile_PM.htm

Bertie
Forum: Piloting June 4th 08, 10:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Scott Skylane
negative dihedral

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJscAaKfr7A

Ooops, that was a MSFS one. ----------
/snip/
Forum: Piloting May 31st 08, 08:43 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Scott Skylane
Bothering a Pilot on Final

C J Campbell wrote:

Respectfully, obsessing about whether another pilot is misusing the
radio, as Larry does, is far more likely to get you killed and certainly
would get you booted out...
Forum: Piloting May 29th 08, 08:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Scott Skylane
Bothering a Pilot on Final

C J Campbell wrote:

Personally, I have better things to do than to worry about what other
pilots are saying on the radio.

Respectfully, CJ,

That attitude may well get you killed, and would...
Forum: Owning May 28th 08, 10:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Scott Skylane
Gear Trouble

wrote:
/snip/
There's a squat switch on the nosewheel scissors that prevents
pump operation if the leg is extended.

Compressed?

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
Forum: Piloting May 28th 08, 10:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Scott Skylane
Gear Trouble

wrote:
/snip/
There's a squat switch on the nosewheel scissors that prevents
pump operation if the leg is extended.

Compressed?

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
Forum: Piloting May 20th 08, 09:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Scott Skylane
Outside reference in IMC

Bob F. wrote:

The acronyms speak for themselves:

One refers to rules, the other to conditions:

IMC - Instrument Meteorological Conditions - Condition under which
flight instruments...
Forum: Piloting May 20th 08, 09:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Posted By Scott Skylane
Mxsmanic , IFR sensations, and some other stuff

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Well, that was an interesting one. It was in Panama.Copa airlines, I
think.
You've got it pretty much right. The skipper was the chief pilot and
the FO was the...
Forum: Piloting May 20th 08, 07:46 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Posted By Scott Skylane
I give up, after many, many years!

Nomen Nescio wrote:

Don't confuse memory with IQ. I know a lot of people who remember
damn near everything. They couldn't use any of that info to think their
way out of a paper bag, though.