Forum: Soaring November 15th 19, 04:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
In flight phone/camera charging

I always carry a couple of the little batteries with cables for recharging just in case of a landout. I also have USB panel mount plugs wired into aircraft power, but the battery packs are the...
Forum: Soaring November 11th 19, 05:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pawnee TOST Hook Installation FAA Paperwork

Related to this topic: We have learned from bad experience that one must not "split" any part of a conversion to towing between 2 different FSDOs.

As one of my FSDO contacts often said, "The FAA...
Forum: Soaring November 11th 19, 12:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2020 Mackay, Idaho Regatta

For welding, just fill is ok.
For medical and PBO, evacuate first is required.

If the previous user left the tank open for a while, there is a small chance of moisture but probably nothing...
Forum: Soaring November 10th 19, 11:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OLC Scoring question

Nick-
I always try to close the triangle at my release point. The OLC scoring algorithm then has the most data points to calculate maximum triangle size. Your southward trip to the clouds would be...
Forum: Soaring November 10th 19, 02:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gliding risk....

"The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise."
-Publius Tacitus, Book XV

Some things are worth doing. Soaring is one of them.
Forum: Soaring November 6th 19, 01:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FES Possibilty

OOPS! Forgot that little point. Thanks.
Forum: Soaring November 6th 19, 03:25 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FES Possibilty

Obviously, a CG hook would be necessary for an auto or winch tow. Initial acceleration could bring the tow rope off the ground and reduce prop to rope clearance. if the tail comes up, bad things...
Forum: Soaring October 24th 19, 03:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ASW 27 Flight Testing Video Clip

Nice video. Welcome to the jet club. BTW, your canopy needs cleaning. Also, Bob Carlton and I have found that Windex easily removes the residue from jet exhaust on the tail. Use REAL Windex. Some of...
Forum: Soaring October 22nd 19, 04:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Notice of changes to IGC-approval levels of 11 types of FlightRecorder to take place on 1 January 2020

There was at least one incident years ago where a single pilot flew with two recorders and submitted the same flight to the OLC and it was scored for two different clubs. I don't know whether this...
Forum: Soaring October 10th 19, 02:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Looking for 57 mm instruments

Still looking for a 57 mm Winter or Sage variometer, preferably calibrated in knots or FPM. Not interested in Borgelt or other electric units.
Forum: Soaring October 10th 19, 04:24 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
New MOAs proposed near Marine Corp base and Mt Patterson

I suggest contacting Joshua ATC Control at Edwards AFB. They have been and still are a valuable resource for high altitude wave flights in the Sierra Nevada. And Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake...
Forum: Soaring September 30th 19, 03:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tail dolley wheels?

I don’t get the comments about towing behind a car. My ASW-19 & 20 both lift the tail dolly wheel off the ground when I tow them.

There is a fairly common tow bar system (Initially offered by...
Forum: Soaring September 25th 19, 02:14 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Final glide

Since I do not fly competition, making the "perfect" final glide to avoid leaving "points on the table" is not much of a concern. What does concern me is arriving below pattern altitude and suddenly...
Forum: Soaring September 22nd 19, 01:44 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kawa rough landing?

After all, would SH design a glider with doors that reduce
the climb rate by 300 fpm?

Apparently, they did. 443 FPM sink rate is listed in the manual with doors open and mast up. 110 fpm is listed...
Forum: Soaring September 22nd 19, 01:36 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kawa rough landing?

The doors may be aligned with the airflow, but that big hole they are supposed to cover is a turbulence bucket.
Forum: Soaring September 22nd 19, 01:33 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Looking for 57 mm instruments

On Saturday, September 21, 2019 at 12:53:37 PM UTC-6, Ross wrote:
I have an ASI in knots here
I will be in Alabama in a week and can bring it with me if you like

Price? Manufacturer? Range?...
Forum: Soaring September 21st 19, 04:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Looking for 57 mm instruments

I should have specified: Mechanical Vario and ASI wanted. The new panel will have an LXNAV V8 and 9000, along with a Butterfly display. I want mechanical vario, ASI and altimeter as backup in case of...
Forum: Soaring September 21st 19, 03:43 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Looking for 57 mm instruments

I am upgrading my panel, and the big screen TV takes up a lot of room. Looking for 57 mm Variometer and Airspeed Indicator. Preferably in FPM and Knots.
Forum: Soaring September 21st 19, 02:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kawa rough landing?

"Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours." (Richard Bach, "Illusions" 1977)
Forum: Soaring September 21st 19, 02:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kawa rough landing?

The main reason motorgliders like the Arcus see such a large decrease in performance with the mast up is that the engine bay doors remain open, and they are about six feet long. That's a huge amount...
Forum: Soaring September 19th 19, 03:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Act now before your wings are defaced

I was going to report this thread as abuse of Google Groups, but there isn't a category for effin' STUPID. Enough, Bob. Back to the ice cave.
Forum: Soaring September 16th 19, 02:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Act now before your wings are defaced

At first, I thought Bob's rants had to do with holding on to the Bong too firmly. Now, I find myself Googling "Symptoms of Dementia."
Forum: Soaring September 8th 19, 01:37 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
another crash

"Canopy breakers" are different from the automotive "window breakers" in that the surfaces to be destroyed are also quite different. Automotive glass is tempered, meaning the entire surface is under...
Forum: Soaring September 6th 19, 08:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Replacement canopies

Link to an Argentinian company that produces glider canopies and other aircraft windshields:
https://spaeroparts.com/
Forum: Soaring August 28th 19, 01:55 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mistral-C vs DG-100

On Tuesday, August 27, 2019 at 2:43:57 PM UTC-6, Tango Whisky wrote:
If you can't control a take off with a cg hook, you probably shouldn't be in a glider in the first place.

That's a pretty...