Search: Posts made by: Papa3[_2_]
Forum: Soaring July 18th 18, 02:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Home built trailer for old glass ship

On Wednesday, July 18, 2018 at 2:01:21 AM UTC-4, John Foster wrote:
Any plans or ideas/suggestions out there about how to build a home-built trailer for an old glass ship? I have a line on a...
Forum: Soaring July 16th 18, 02:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Experimental Letter

On Monday, July 16, 2018 at 9:27:32 AM UTC-4, SF wrote:
I have a sneaking suspicion that it is filed in an unknown location, and never looked at by anyone for any reason, But it is also vitally...
Forum: Soaring July 16th 18, 02:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Ray Galloway (P1)

Sad news. Very much enjoyed flying the 2011 Standard Nationals with Ray as CD. Previously, had a lot of fun comparing notes on the LS8 when we both owned that ship.

P3
Forum: Soaring July 10th 18, 02:27 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Cobra Trailer Bearings

Ditto that advice. A club member had the entire hub fail during a contest and we were able to find parts from eBay and Amazon to get it rebuilt by the end of the contest.
Forum: Soaring July 9th 18, 02:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Tracking from WGC in Poland

Anyone else having trouble viewing the live tracking? Error message says "Sorry...."

P3
Forum: Soaring June 30th 18, 01:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
For Sale: 1977 LS3 (USA)

On Thursday, June 28, 2018 at 11:17:29 PM UTC-4, wrote:
The prestained cockpit option is $5k alone! If it just had the glazed canopy option I’d snap it up.

Actually, ACA...
Forum: Soaring June 29th 18, 02:56 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
For Sale: 1977 LS3 (USA)

Aero Club Albatross (ACA) is excited to offer our 1977 Rolladen Schneider LS3 “El Bondo” for sale. This highly-tuned racing machine has been fully “Templinized” in the ACA Skunkworks. ...
Forum: Soaring June 28th 18, 08:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Shazam!

Not just any old LS-3. The Aero Club Albatross (club) LS3 fondly dubbed "El Bondo"

P3

p.s. Looks like I know what my winter refinishing project is going to be...
Forum: Soaring June 18th 18, 04:11 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
SeeYou Alternative?

Not sure if this has been discussed before (quick search of the archives didn't turn anything obvious up).

So, I've been using SeeYou for at least 15 years, and I've gotten used to it. ...
Forum: Soaring June 7th 18, 04:13 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Average time to solo a student

Some good dialogue in the thread. The winch discussions reminded me that I actually had a mix of aerotow and autotow (poor man's winch) in my early training. The auto tow was fantastic toward...
Forum: Soaring June 4th 18, 03:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Average time to solo a student

New kid on the block here with only 25 years instructing :-) Same answers as Hank and Jim. 25-35 here in the northeast with consistency/concentration of flying being the big variable. If you are...
Forum: Soaring May 31st 18, 06:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Trailer license problem

Yup. NJ for example does not require a title for trailers under 2500# (i.e. pretty much every glider trailer ever made).
Forum: Soaring May 30th 18, 06:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Good lubricant for assembly

Hey Craig,

For what it's worth... Superlube with PTFE (the one in the tube many of us use) is NLGI rated GC-LB. Per the NLGI folks: "Grease packaging may display the code GC-LB, meaning that it...
Forum: Soaring May 29th 18, 09:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Trailer license problem

FWIW - I had the exact same experience in NJ years ago. I had a BRAND NEW trailer with all of the appropriate DOT forms, invoice from the factory, etc. First location said it would be impossible...
Forum: Soaring May 29th 18, 03:45 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Trailer license problem

Depends a bit on how "creative" you're willing to be. Suffice to say that most officers don't know the difference between a Komet, Cobra, Eberle... you get the picture. Assuming you can come up...
Forum: Soaring May 28th 18, 04:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Good lubricant for assembly

This request comes up periodically; you could search old threads for the long and very passionate responses :-)

I like Superlube, which is a synthetic grease that is very temperature stable over the...
Forum: Soaring May 17th 18, 04:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Landing with reduced airbrake

On Tuesday, May 15, 2018 at 11:47:10 PM UTC-4, Richard McLean wrote:
Thanks for that George - yes, a bit of experimentation might be a good idea.

One of our most experienced pilots says the...
Forum: Soaring May 17th 18, 03:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
A Simple Question About LiFePO4 Batteries

On Tuesday, May 15, 2018 at 11:59:54 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I have a friend that built several, 4 two for him and two for me 13.2 volt 11AH lifepo4 that used round cells and a bms...
Forum: Soaring May 16th 18, 01:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Komet trailer axle dillema

On Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 7:08:29 AM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:
Komet used a lot of Knott running gear. Spares available here

https://www.knott-trailer-shop.com/index.php

You don't...
Forum: Soaring May 2nd 18, 01:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Inreach

On Wednesday, May 2, 2018 at 8:14:46 AM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:
Delorme's marketing is handicapped.
https://www.cabelas.com/assets/product_files/pdf/270145_inreach_service_plan.pdf

Can...
Forum: Soaring April 20th 18, 01:47 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
SSA's Life Sailplane Tracking site down?

On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 5:38:43 PM UTC-4, AS wrote:
Am I the only one who cannot see any life tracking of the R5N contest? Inquiring mind want to know!

Uli
'AS'

Down again for me as...
Forum: Soaring March 13th 18, 06:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Russia 5M tire and tube?

On Tuesday, March 13, 2018 at 2:21:17 PM UTC-4, Waveguru wrote:
Where can we get tube and tire for a Russia?

Boggs

Paul Manafort.

Couldn't resist.
Forum: Soaring March 13th 18, 04:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
$75,000 2-33

On Tuesday, March 13, 2018 at 12:17:02 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
You could buy a farm with sufficient space to grade and seed your own
runway.* The farm house would make a terrific club...
Forum: Soaring March 13th 18, 04:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
$75,000 2-33

On Monday, March 12, 2018 at 4:45:06 PM UTC-4, Michael Opitz wrote:
The problem I have seen
over many years, is that the typical average USA club members just
don't have the dedication or...
Forum: Soaring March 12th 18, 08:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
$75,000 2-33

So help us understand the economics of your operation. In round figures, you're sitting on about $1M (USD) worth of aircraft when I include our two towplanes. Maybe a little more or a little less...