Forum: Soaring May 5th 20, 05:56 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Favorite Aviation Documentaries

On Wednesday, April 29, 2020 at 5:25:29 PM UTC-4, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
Far too many to choose from. Here are a few;

Wright Brothers' Flying Machine...
Forum: Soaring April 29th 20, 05:45 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bad Aviation Films

On Tuesday, April 28, 2020 at 10:40:28 PM UTC-4, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
I stumbled upon this rather odd movie and I have no idea why YouTube thought I would like...
Forum: Soaring April 26th 20, 04:13 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Favorite Aviation Films

Aanenson would host the telecasts of his film on the local PBS station when he was still alive. I remember him saying that he made the film for his grandkids so they would understand his experiences...
Forum: Soaring April 22nd 20, 04:09 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bad Aviation Films

On Sunday, April 19, 2020 at 11:37:01 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
Since we've had favorites, how about bad ones?

Someone mentioned Top Gun.* I thought that was horrible.* Yeah, there
was...
Forum: Soaring April 19th 20, 02:12 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Favorite Aviation Films

On Friday, April 17, 2020 at 10:20:10 AM UTC-4, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Lockdown and self isolation continues in Telluride Colorado
What are your favorite Aviation based movies?
A couple of mine...
Forum: Soaring September 22nd 19, 08:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RIP Barron Hilton

A good time to re-watch The Quiet Challenge dvd and remember those that are no longer with us.
Forum: Soaring August 15th 19, 01:32 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ooooops...

An electric airplane ends up in water...would that be a “shocking” experience?
Forum: Soaring July 15th 19, 03:46 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Moffat

I am a second generation Pilot of both airplanes and gliders, having been introduced to both by my Dad. My Dad once told me that George Moffat was the best Glider Pilot and everybody wanted him to...
Forum: Soaring May 13th 19, 12:15 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Be the "Hot Air Champion" at the Standard or Sports Class NationalsJune 20 - July 1

The connotations of being named the “Hot Air Champion” anywhere are not real favorable.
Forum: Soaring April 19th 19, 07:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sun Protection While Soaring - UPF 50+ Clothing

Best option, though expensive, would be a canopy with the UV screen built in.
Forum: Soaring March 20th 19, 10:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Florida Soaring Conditions in August- Seminole

Seminole Lake is not a Club, but rather a Commercial Operation. The PW-6 is probably the newest addition to their fleet.

Yes, Florida will be HOT and HUMID in late August.
Forum: Soaring November 30th 18, 03:57 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Contest Wait list

The OP’s question about what it would take to develop our next American World Gliding Champion is interesting and thought provoking.

We have had three Glider Pilots win a total of four World...
Forum: Soaring October 14th 18, 05:10 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Harris

If I remember his story correctly, he kept his Grob in a constant state of readiness for five years. Every day he checked with Meteorologist looking for the best possible conditions for wave flights....
Forum: Soaring September 15th 18, 06:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Accidents resulting from medical issues

This has been a test of the Soaring Promotional Marketing System. This was only a test. If this had been an actual attempt to promote Soaring to the general public, you would all be told where to go...
Forum: Soaring September 15th 18, 02:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tinted canopies

The above information was copied from Great Lakes Aero Plastics website. They manufacture replacement glass for many light aircraft and are the OEM supplier for Cirrus Aircraft. A couple of years ago...
Forum: Soaring September 15th 18, 01:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tinted canopies

Q13: What is the new SC- (Solar Control) Material?
A: The following is a Technical Bulletin from Polycast:
Enhanced Protection from Ultraviolet "A" radiation
UVA exposure can increase the risk of...
Forum: Soaring September 1st 18, 03:50 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Js3 jet catastrophic failure.

With the average age of glider pilots in the U.S. being what it is these days, the bungee cord launch would be quite an entertaining spectacle!
Forum: Soaring August 29th 18, 03:26 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Perlan Climbing

I just can’t get excited about this. Until a guy climbs into his sailplane without big money sponsorship or pressure suits “on loan” from NASA and surpasses 49,009 feet, Bob Harris is still the...
Forum: Soaring May 12th 18, 04:21 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Iran and GPS etc

This is one Sean can’t get blamed for...
Forum: Soaring November 20th 17, 03:32 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Next glider, ownership costs question?

I enjoyed watching your videos, Tom. Hope to see some new ones of you flying your new glider!
Forum: Soaring March 15th 17, 03:08 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Seniors 2017

Wednesday isn't forecast to be much better...
Forum: Soaring August 28th 16, 04:45 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Boy Who Flew With Condors - Dick Johnson? Other Comments

Margaret Birsner MAY now be Margaret Rapaport and living in New York.
Forum: Soaring January 13th 16, 05:04 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mifflin photorealistic scenery for Condor - what needs to be in it?

If you want to make it realistic from a historical perspective, you could program in George Moffat in XX passing you by...
Forum: Soaring August 7th 14, 06:15 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
World Championship gliders

On Thursday, August 7, 2014 12:37:38 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thursday, August 7, 2014 11:42:35 AM UTC-4, wrote:

I think we could address a number of...
Forum: Soaring August 7th 14, 04:42 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
World Championship gliders

I think we could address a number of concerns by moving to a one design competition format utilizing the Schweizer 2-33A sailplane. Each competitor would be towed aloft and once everyone was...