Search: Posts made by: Peter R.
Forum: Piloting December 27th 07, 01:41 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Peter R.
frost on the wing

On 12/24/2007 11:28:36 AM, Jose wrote:

But when I was pretty much done, I noticed there was frost on the wings,
which hadn't been there before.

I have experienced this a few times. Two...
Forum: Owning December 21st 07, 04:26 AM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By Peter R.
Preheating engines: Airplane engines versus auto engines

On 12/20/2007 9:15:15 PM, Dave wrote:

Watch this like a hawk on cold starts of any kind...15 secs is
marginal, 10 secs max preferred...

Will pay better attention to this. Thanks.

--
Peter
Forum: Owning December 20th 07, 06:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By Peter R.
Preheating engines: Airplane engines versus auto engines

On 12/20/2007 9:24:28 AM, Paul kgyy wrote:

I doubt that you did any harm. Convert all the degrees to Kelvin
temps and be comforted :-)

Ha. Thanks, Paul.

--
Peter
Forum: Owning December 20th 07, 06:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By Peter R.
Preheating engines: Airplane engines versus auto engines

On 12/19/2007 9:40:19 PM, Dave wrote:

What weight of Oil?

20w-50

What brand?

Exxon Elite
Forum: Owning December 20th 07, 06:42 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By Peter R.
Preheating engines: Airplane engines versus auto engines

On 12/19/2007 7:56:55 PM, wrote:

Cars typically use 5W30. I used to use 0W30 in my Ford
pickup. Started OK at -35C. Airplane engines can't use such thin
stuff.

Thanks, Dan, for the...
Forum: Owning December 19th 07, 07:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By Peter R.
Preheating engines: Airplane engines versus auto engines

On 12/19/2007 1:51:18 PM, " wrote:

Might ask your neighborhood FBO to use one of their portable heaters
next time around :-)

I have read in several different mags that...
Forum: Owning December 19th 07, 07:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By Peter R.
Preheating engines: Airplane engines versus auto engines

On 12/19/2007 12:39:10 PM, "gpaleo" wrote:

This is joke post, right????

Yes, it's a joke. You can go back to bed now.

--
Peter
Forum: Owning December 19th 07, 07:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By Peter R.
Preheating engines: Airplane engines versus auto engines

On 12/19/2007 1:09:15 PM, Jim Stewart wrote:

BTW, a simple overhand knot in the power cord
where the heater plug and the extension cord
mate will prevent someone from inadvertently
Forum: Piloting December 19th 07, 06:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Peter R.
Bonanza (A36) Approach Speeds

On 12/18/2007 6:45:56 PM, " wrote:

Besides,
I turn off electric trim as part of the pre-landing checklist.

Why do you do this?

(Curious since I own a V35B with electric...
Forum: Owning December 19th 07, 06:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By Peter R.
Preheating engines: Airplane engines versus auto engines

This time of year here in the Northeast US I always preheat my Bonanza's
IO520 engine with a Tanis heater and an insulated cowling/prop cover as it
sits in an unheated t-hangar. The result is that...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules December 13th 07, 10:17 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Peter R.
AOPA reporting free GNSx30 WAAS software upgrade available

On 12/12/2007 10:34:36 AM, "Marco Leon" wrote:

So after flying with WAAS for a little while, what's your opinion on the
upgrade? Are you using the new features a lot? I know Syracuse has FOUR
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules December 13th 07, 10:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Peter R.
AOPA reporting free GNSx30 WAAS software upgrade available

On 12/12/2007 2:43:52 PM, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:

My 296 showed winds of 280 knots the other day. It has WAAS so I
wonder if I have the same bug.

The winds aloft bug in the 430W/530W is that...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules December 11th 07, 10:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Peter R.
AOPA reporting free GNSx30 WAAS software upgrade available

On 12/11/2007 11:17:13 AM, "Marco Leon" wrote:

OK, I had to read that again. I WAS mistaken. I misread the part about
"owners of the GNS 400W and 500W." I thought for a second I was going to
Forum: Piloting December 10th 07, 09:17 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Peter R.
Rental Checkride?

On 12/7/2007 12:57:01 AM, Dallas wrote:

Three hours? Can I assume a large part of that was on the ground?

Did you consider those requirements fair?

In this case I got my money's worth: I...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules December 6th 07, 09:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Peter R.
AOPA reporting free GNSx30 WAAS software upgrade available

Just spotted this on AOPA's site:

_Garmin releases WAAS software upgrade for 400W/500W models_
http://www.aopa.org/aircraft/articles/2007/071206garmin.html

----------------- start of...
Forum: Piloting December 6th 07, 09:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Peter R.
If I die...

On 12/6/2007 3:20:00 PM, Nomen Nescio wrote:

They will then be asked to, collectively and simultaneously, Blow Me.

Think of the children, man.

--
Peter
Forum: Piloting December 6th 07, 07:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 12/6/2007 1:23:39 PM, Dallas wrote:

Is this a little stiff or is it the normal practice?

I would say it is normal. The one time I rented far from home I had to go
through a three hours...
Forum: Piloting December 6th 07, 06:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Peter R.
Renter's Insurance?

On 12/5/2007 7:07:23 PM, Dallas wrote:

Thanks, I'm not even a week old yet... it's just starting to sink in.
And.. I don't know what to do with all this new found free time.

Get up there and...
Forum: Piloting December 6th 07, 04:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Peter R.
Tax bill of $26,000 for flying into US state of Maine?

Anyone else read the latest story in today's AvWebFlash's email newsletter
about the Massachusetts based pilot who flew his Cirrus several times into
Maine and unexpectedly received a Maine "use tax"...
Forum: Piloting December 6th 07, 12:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Peter R.
Renter's Insurance?

On 12/5/2007 5:50:21 PM, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:

On Dec 5, 1:09 pm, "Peter R." wrote:
On 12/5/2007 3:56:26 PM, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:

Or your buddy is right...
Forum: Piloting December 5th 07, 11:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Peter R.
Renter's Insurance?

On 12/5/2007 5:31:03 PM, "Vaughn Simon" wrote:

I won't
touch any of them. You can't buy $250,000 of renter's hull insurance, and
you wouldn't want to pay for it if you could.

I would bet a...
Forum: Piloting December 5th 07, 11:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Peter R.
Cessna sued for skydiving accident. OT rant...

On 12/5/2007 4:42:31 PM, Jim Logajan wrote:

So heat a cup of water to 195 F and drink it. Then report back the
results.

Bland to the taste, could use flavor.

--
Peter
Forum: Piloting December 5th 07, 10:09 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 12/5/2007 3:56:26 PM, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:

Or your buddy is right depending on the FBO. Several of the FBO's
around here have all pilots an open named so the insurance company is
Forum: Piloting December 5th 07, 08:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Peter R.
Renter's Insurance?

On 12/5/2007 2:08:00 PM, Dallas wrote:

I haven't seen you here for a while.

Yeah, I am one of the many casualties of the war that has been going on
inside this group for the last year or so....
Forum: Piloting December 5th 07, 06:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Peter R.
Renter's Insurance?

On 12/5/2007 11:53:39 AM, Dallas wrote:

Do you renters feel the need to pick up supplemental insurance? If so who
did you use and how much did it cost you?

Your buddy is correct. The FBO's...