Old November 24th 19, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams[_4_]

Default Using Condor simulator to improve decision making

I have been a club instructor for about 45 years. I began using
Condor with club students and also for distance training for at least
15 years.

It is an efficient and economical way to teach the concepts needed
for safe soaring. There have been contest pilots over the last 20 or
so years here in the US who have used it during the winter to
prevent becoming rusty, and also to compete in online races for fun
and skill improvement. Frank Paynter was one such and he has
written a book about the subject. It is also a lot of fun, does not
require rigging and retrieving.

Comments here have been about Version 1; Version 2 is much
different and I still use both. but V 1 is slowly being phased out. The
second version is much better in many respects -- but not all.
The scenery is much better and covers larger space. There are not
yet nearly so many sceneries, but they are being posted weekly.
There are not nearly so many airports in the new sceneries and that
is unfortunate. The gliders are different - some better, some not so
good - especially the Blanik and I would have much preferred the
Super Blanik.

Tow rope length can be adjusted and some of the gliders have nose
hitches as well as cg hooks; no nose hooks in version 1.

At 18:48 23 November 2019, wrote:
I am wondering what people think about using the Condor

simulator to
improve gliding and soaring decision making -- things like when to

turn
back given lift, weather, continuing to exploit lift along a ridge, and

so
on.

Does the simulator present enough varied challenges to help with

this sort
of thing which will transfer to real soaring.

I will need to purchase and set up a Windoz box to run this and

isolate it
on a subnet, so want to decide if it is likely worth the effort.

thanks.