Old December 14th 03, 10:06 PM
RR Urban

When it comes to AIRCRAFT visibility, who can point to appropriate
research recommending orange as an OUTSTANDING color?
What might its value be for exceptionally small aircraft approaching
head on in bright light with closure rates of nearly 400 mph?
In one scenario... the aircraft begins as a tiny black spec....
regardless of actual color, less than two miles out. In less than
18 IDEAL seconds you have a near miss or a brutal collision.

Why not use lights instead of paint? I would guess
that strobes on your wing tips and a pulsing Landing light
would make you far more visible than any paint scheme, even
in daylight.

I run strobes all the time.
For whatever reason, they seems to be as invisible as the RV-3.
be seen in the head on situation, either.

FWIW...
All this still assumes that the oncoming pilot has his head outside
the cockpit and looking for the potential head on. While I'm
wishing... it would be super peachy if the other pilot was at the
appropriate altitude for his/her magnetic heading, too.

For far too many of the near misses encountered.....
there appears to be blatant violations of both.
In these instances, no sort of light or paint is useful.
Like it is with motorcycle riders that are legendarily unseen....
The answer appears to be that one must be vigilant and defense
against all parties concerned. Otherwise, you can be DEAD right.

P.S.
Any info on those black boxes that I would deem... TCAS lite?

Barnyard BOb -