Old March 19th 20, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Helium bubbles used to show bird aerodynamics

On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 08:28:33 -0700, Eric Greenwell wrote:

I flew hand launch gliders in early60's. My best glider had a planform
identical to the original Discus. It was called the "Sweepette". The
cover on this article shows the 1960 version:

https://indoornewsandviews.files.wor...0/inav-113.pdf

I know it well: Lee Hines has been a good friend ever since 1983, when I
was on the way back from the Australian WC and stopped over on my way
home to fly in some Californian comps. I did the MaxMen's comp at Taft
and the Sierra Cup at Sacramento, travelling with Lee.

I got 2nd in in the Sierra Cup that year - an epic event with 10 rounds
flown Saturday and Sunday morning. Flyoffs started at 1:30 PM on a hot,
thermally afternoon. We flew 4,5,6 and 7 minute flyoffs before those with
clockwork timers dropped out en mass. By the 10 minute round it was
cooling off and only Walt Ghio and I were left. We both blobbed it, but I
dropped more than he did.

Halcyon Days!

I wonder if Wil Schumann was inspired by the Sweepette, or some earlier
version of that planform?

Lee seems to have developed the Sweepette in the late 60s and got the
Model Of The Year award for it in 1970.

I have a copy of Wil's article on modifying an ASW-12 so he could fly it
in Standard Class, and that modification included his new planform, but
annoyingly, the article doesn't show a date. The ASW-12 was introduced in
1965, so its at least possible that Wil was first with that planform.
AFAIK Lee has never followed developments in fullsize gliding in any
detail. He was always more interested in Formula 1 GP racing, and spent a
season as a Goodyear gofer (and got into the partys) when Jimmy Clark,
Graham Hill, etc were to top drivers.

Do you know when Wil was flying that modified ASW-12?

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org