Old March 23rd 20, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Default O2, Question for medics.

You, Sir, are a hero!

I have both a pulse oximeter and a stethoscope and almost 72 years old,
but thanks for the offer!

On 3/23/2020 10:44 AM, Duster wrote:
A pulse oximeter is quite reliable at cold altitudes in turbulence. It does not measure oxygen or hypoxia, but rather some molecule bound to hemoglobin that changes light absorption from 2 different LEDs (one IR, one red). Many units can't differentiate between wavelength absorp of bound carbon monoxide or oxygen, so you could get a reading of 98% but still have carbon monoxide poisoning (there are CO oximeters available) or hypoxemia. In any case, we've gotten off message. If you have a pulse oximeter, you can use it to assist your physician in determining if you should get tested for coronavirus or be hospitalized. When you have real data (temperature, low PO reading) rather than subjectively (under)-reported symptoms, that will almost surely get their attention....it's evidence. If you have minimal training, buy/borrow a cheap stethoscope or amped microphone and have someone listen for "crackling" sounds over both lungs from the back. Fluid buildup sounds like when you scratch your scalp on the hair line. I'll make you a deal; if you can't afford a basic PO ($8-$30), are 70 yrs old or care for such, I will commit to deliver at least 5 units (1/ea) to those making a request. That includes outside North America if AmazonGlobe-worthy. PM me

Someone in respiratory distress usually has impaired breathing, so a nose cannula might not be as helpful as a face mask to get them more oxygen. What might be more helpful is to loan your pulse oximeter to those at higher risk. This would help them decide if they should seek medical treatment, e.g., when ox sat falls below 90% (a common threshold to receive resp support is 88%). The catch is (no pun intended) a hospital is a good place to get pneumonia if you don't already have it.
Duster

--
Dan, 5J