Old February 11th 05, 01:08 AM
Stan Prevost

wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 19:24:36 -0500, Peter Clark
wrote:

Secondly, how about shooting this approach (VOR/DME 21 at Minuteman -
Stow, MA) - http://avn.faa.gov/d-tpp/0501/05764VD21.PDF . Assuming
that I'm shooting this as a primary approach (not my alternate), and
the aircraft doesn't have DME, what can I do with this approach?

What difference does "alternate" make?

When it comes to actually flying the approach, "alternate" is a
meaningles term..

Actually, I think Peter asked an interesting question. The AIM says:

(8) For TSO-C129/129A users, any required alternate airport must still have
an approved instrument approach procedure other than GPS that is anticipated
to be operational and available at the estimated time of arrival, and which
the aircraft is equipped to fly. If the non-GPS approaches on which the
pilot must rely require DME or ADF, the aircraft must be equipped with DME
or ADF avionics as appropriate.

This seems to say that substitution of GPS for DME or ADF is not authorized
for the purpose of determining whether an airport is suitable for filing as
an alternate.

Agreed, for actually flying the approach, it doesn't matter, but for filing,
it is interesting.