Old March 10th 04, 01:39 PM
vincent p. norris

The only fighter I know of that had a
mod that incorporated an emergency afterburner switch that when
activated would light the AB in idle. Larry told us it was for use in
just such cases as he had - going low close-in when it was desperately
needed to avert a ramp strike.

All the airplanes I flew in the marines had propellers on the front
end. Sudden application of power at slow speeds could produce
surprising, and possibly fatal, results.So the above paragraph raises
two questions in my mind:

1. Aren't all jet engines slow in responding when the throttle is
pushed forward? (Isn't that why full power is applied when hitting
the deck?)

2. Is the engine idling when a jet approaches the ramp? I thought
it was a powered approach. Would a prudent pilot cut the power to
idle, if a little high, if the engines respond slowly? Seems to me if
he were that high, it would be smart to start a go-round.

vince norris