Old April 14th 04, 04:25 AM
Mike Kanze

Stephen,

That wouldn't make any sense at all.

Strictly speaking, you are correct. It represents the setting sun (sinking
fortunes) of the Japanese Empire. Later in the squadron's life this meaning
was lost as "corporate memory" of WWII gradually faded.

(This info was given to me by several Sundowners - we (VA-95) cruised with
them as part of CVW-15 in 1973.)

One person's sunset is another's sunrise though, in both literal and
figurative senses.

--
Mike Kanze

"The enemy should be in no doubt that we are his Nemesis and that we are
bringing about his rightful destruction."

- Lieutenant-Colonel Tim Collins, Royal Irish Battle Group, to his troops on
the eve of Operation Iraqi Freedom

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...

"WaltBJ" wrote in message
om...

What's the number of the VF squadron with the rising sun as a logo?
Are they the Sundowners?

That wouldn't make any sense at all.