Old May 8th 04, 02:31 AM
Bill Kambic

"Mike Kanze" wrote in message

Thanks for the very interesting history of contactors serving the US
military. When I wrote this, I was thinking primarily of those

contractors
whose "job descriptions" specifically send them into harm's way. Indian
scouts certainly qualify here, while yardbirds don't.

I don't think I would apply the term "yarbirds" to frontier era teamsters or
wagonmasters.

Plenty of supply trains in every conflict were hit by hostiles. The Wagon
Box Fight was mostly hay cutters with a very few troopers and scouts holding
off a large party of braves. If you are part of a combat organization, even
as a contractor, you are in harm's way.

My point still remains, that we as a nation have never had a clear debate

on
this question.

I am not sure one is necessary.

One danger that I see is of our slipping into a "Légion Étrangère"

mentality [rest snipped for brevity]

I think this is a rather broad statement and not supported by the facts.

The ability for the French government to sacrifice non-French citizens in
the pursuit of national policy is precisely why France has maintained the
Légion Étrangère. If you think the US Left is passionate about not

sending
our troops into war, you haven't seen the passion of the French on this
point. France (as well as Britain) was bled white by the excesses of WWI
and that horrific memory continues very sharp in the French mind, almost

90
years later.

IIRC, the Legion's officer corps are its only French nationals. Every

other
Legionnaire is a non-citizen volunteer who may later obtain French
citizenship upon successful completion of his enlistment.

By contrast, the regular French Army is (or at least used to be) primarily
conscript.

I think you correct on the French policy. But that does not even bear a
superficial resemblance to the modern, American all-volunteer force.

Back in the mid to late '60s George Reedy wrote a small book entitled, "Who
Will Do Our Fighting For Us?" It addressed many of the issues of the
volunteer vs. conscript force. It was worthwhile reading then, and it is
now.

In short, do we really want to become like the French?

Probably not. But that presumes that we are in any way, shape, or form

headed in that direction. I don't see that happening.

I hope not.

Me, too. And so far I see no evidence that it is.

Bill Kambic

Mangalarga Marchador: Uma raça, uma paixão