Old November 17th 04, 01:56 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
BOB URZ wrote:

Given the tensions in the pacific rim part of the world, it seems a
possibility of a air exchange between China and a US naval carrier
battle group. My question is what would be the likely outcome of such an
exchange? (non nuclear)

With modern SU27 and SU30 fighters, the Chinese seem far from
defenceless. Maybe even ahead. Would putting the Sukhoi's up against
F18's and F14's be an even or uneven exchange? With the newest Russian
hardware, one might give some advantage to the Chinese.
Yet with no AA refueling and more limited airborne Command and
Control, would that skew the equation back over to the carrier
battle group? And given a hostile incoming Chinese sortie
on the CBG, what would be the likely order of events? Ship born
Sea to Air missiles first? At what range would each side likely use
there Air to Air assets against each other? How good are the EW
suites on the SU's compared to what is deployed with the fleet?

It would be an interesting war game scenario.....

I seriously doubt that the PLAF would have the advantage of surprise --
what with airborne E-2s, etc. Hostile intent would place the PLAF at a
serious disadvantage, because the USN would be able to fire OTH weapons
and destroy hostile at BVR.