Old December 21st 04, 11:45 AM
Jono

Default Lantern Test

Hey,

I was applying for a job as an ATCO, and have been given an invitation
to the selection day, however on the application form there was lots
of questions about vision - whether your short or long sighted etc,
but nothing about colour blindness. I have perfect vision except for a
slight red-green colour blindness. I fail on 30% of the ishihara
tests.

not wanting to waste their or my time, I contacted the recruitment
manager explaining what I just mentioned above and he said...

"I am afraid that if you have a red/green colour deficiency it is
highly likely that you would not be able to hold a medical certificate
which is a legal requirement for the ATCO licence. In order to
satisfy the medical criteria you would need to be able to pass the
"lantern" test."

So basically, what I want to know is, can I pass the lantern test if i
normally fail the ishihara tests? or is it harder to pass? Also is
there anywhere I can get this done publicly...

I have spoken to my optician and he says that no-one has asked him for
one of those tests for 10 years! he says its only the CAA and some
train companies that do these, and he knows of nowhere that you can
have one done, except at the interview...

Any info will be greatfully recieved.

Many Thanks
Jon.