Old July 27th 03, 05:32 AM
Tony Roberts

I'm hoping that someone who owns an aircraft in Canada (pref. Toronto

area) can
give me some hints.

I keep my 172 at Kelowna BC.

Prices are Canadian.
Insurance is $1600 per year.
Tiedown is $600 per year.
Nav Canada is $65 per year.
Annual - about 12 hours labour plus anything they find that needs fixing.
100LL $1.15 litre in Kelowna. As low as 80c in lower mainland.
Oil change - $140.00
Expect at least one simple repair on Avoionics - $400.00
$70 per hour labour for any other work.

A hangar here is $42,000 plus $200 per month plus insurance & utilities -
that's why I have a tiedown.

As a VERY rough rule of thumb, in a 172, flying 60 - 75 hours a year
will be about the same cost as renting. Over that and you are saving
money. The big bonus is that the aircraft is always available, you know
its condition, you can leave your stuff in it, you can stay out all
weekend without paying a per day cost . . . there are a pot of pluses.

I looked at a couple of 182's and I estimate 182 costs to be about 30%
higher than a 172.

--
Tony Roberts (tonyroberts@ remove shaw.ca)
PP-ASEL