Old August 16th 03, 11:41 PM
Snowbird

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message ...
My partners and I have all noticed that takeoff roll and climb in our Archer
is a bit long and anemic, respectively. The partner who has had a share the
longest has said that normal TO RPM has always been around 2,250.

Before you get too concerned that the engine is a problem,
have you had the tach checked recently? There's a program on
the internet which will do this by recording a sound file and
analyzing it with the program -- google search for it if
interested. Otherwise find someone w/ an electronic tach
checker.

It's pretty common for an older mechanical tach to be off
by 100 or even 200 rpm. Often it's high, but low is not
unheard of (ours as it happens is low)

Not to say that something isn't amiss, but make sure you've
identified the problem first?

One of us
recently flew a Cherokee 180 (same engine) that climbed much better and got
over 2,500 RPM during TO.

The other issue is whether the two planes have the same prop, and
were they at the same max gross weight and comparable DA when
comparing them?

Cheers,
Sydney