Old August 27th 03, 01:49 PM
JDupre5762

Here is my other problem that I am wanting to tackle right now. When you
pull the yoke all the way back, it doesn't stay straight when it's clear
back. I would like to put the gust lock pin in and see if while its in, if
the elevator is in the neutral/straight position. However, I can't because
the gust lock part, that holds the pin is missing all together!

On some Cessnas particularly the 182 for sure the control yoke lock does not
lock the elevator in neutral but slightly nose up. Giving the elevator a nose
down force. This is to prevent the aircraft from taking off with the control
yoke lock installed or otherwise locked, for example with something less
visible than the factory lock. Elevators are set to neutral for rigging by
using an external lock, typically a couple of pieces of soft wood and a long
bolt or screw.

If I have someone pull the yoke all the way back and I go back and lift
the elevator, it moves about 2 more inches up before I feel it hit the
stops.

Sounds like the elevator at least is seriously out of rig. Properly rigged the
elevator should hit the stop and then any internal stop under the panel should
hit. Some aircraft don't have an internal stop or only have one. But in any
event if you have two inches of movement on the elevator with someone pulling
the yoke back you have a problem. I would also check the ailerons and rudder
for similar rigging problems.

John Dupre'