Old November 19th 03, 05:33 AM
aptim

I was told in A&P school that It stands for Parts Manufactured Approved.

Tim A&P PP-SEL IA
wrote in message
A PMAed part or assembly is one that can be used as a direct replacement

for
the original part or assembly. Whether or not the owner/operator can
legally install a PMAed part depends upon the type of part and whether its
replacement is within the bounds of allowed owner/operator maintenance as
defined in FAR 43.17(c). However, regardless of whether the PMAed part is
installed by the owner/operator or an A&P, it requires just a simple

logbook
entry just like any other part replacement.

An STC introduces an alteration that was not covered by the airplane's
original type certificate. Installation of an STCed part or system must

be
accomplished in accordance with the STC. This may be a major or minor
alteration, but as I understand it, it would in any case need to be signed
off by an A&P, and possibly an AI. In many cases a new weight and balance
would need to be calculated and recorded.

--
-Elliott Drucker