Old December 4th 03, 03:35 AM
dave

I bought my 68 7eca a few months ago. I had looked at several aircraft.
None of the owner's I spoke to that had gone way beyond the calender time
limit were willing to concede that it was significant. I think it is
significant. I'd rather fly a 5 year old engine thats 500 hours beyond the
2000 hour recommendation than a 500 hour engine that's 20 years past the
calendar limit recommendation.

One airplane had 500 SMOH in 1968! Another was 25 years old with 1200TT but
never overhauled. I found many airplanes in the 500-1500 hour range that
hadn't been overhauled for twenty years. My plane had 500 hours since a
factory overhaul in 1998 when I bought it. I think that the limit is 12
years. Here's a link to some lycoming information I found.

http://www.lycoming.textron.com/main...imeEngine.html

Dave
1968 7ECA

"Dan Luke" wrote in message
One finds many 20+ year old aircraft advertised with engine time =
airframe time, both in the neighborhood of 1000-1600 hours. Now, it is
my undersatanding that aircraft engines have a calendar TBO as well as a
tach TBO. however, prices for these aircraft do not seem to reflect
engines that are beyond TBO. Is calendar TBO something that is generally
ignored? Should a prospective buyer make a hard negotiating point about
it?
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM