Old January 26th 04, 06:24 PM
ET

Margy Natalie wrote in :

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote:

Judah wrote:

That's what happens when teachers make minimum wage, and
celebrities make $100,000 an episode...

Well, teachers haven't made that little in a LLLOOONNNGGG time!
Around here, the going rate is around 50K for substitutes and over
70K to start for regulars. By comparison, starting pay for a software
developer with an MS is about 50K.

According to salary.com the median pay for a teacher in New Brunswick,
NJ is $51, 927 with the 25th percentile salary at $41,143. I think
this is probably much closer to reality. NO schools start at 70K and
many top out below that. Somerset High School is about $2,000 lower
and NYC about $2,000 higher. Substitutes in Fairfax County, VA get
$10 an hour. Subs are almost always hired by the hour with no
benefits. A starting teacher in Fairfax County gets $35,813 and 7% of
that comes off the top to pay for pension (yes, we pay our own).
Fairfax is considered a "good paying" district in a very expensive
area. 40 miles west of here the pay drops almost $10,000 a year.
http://www.fcps.edu/DHR/salary/scalepdfs/04tchr195.pdf shows more
realistic teacher salaries. Margy

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's
usually said is "Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

My wife is a teacher, and while I would love for her to earn more, if you
take her salary and divide it by number of days worked, she does very
well indeed. To compare teacher salaries per year to other occupations
leaves out the summers, holidays, etc....

Even though she makes less than 40K, she still makes well over $200 per
day that she actually works....

--
ET

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams