Old March 1st 04, 08:38 PM
Anyone

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
om...
For some reason the Clearcoat on my Mooney is starting to bubble off
and peal away. I otherwise have a good paint job that I believe was
done around '95. Sadly, a hanger is not possible around here.

Is it worth it to strip the Clearcoat off and have it reapplied (can that

even be done)?
It can be done. Is it worth it? That's for you to decide.

Am I looking at a new paint job?

In the affected areas, yes.

Can I put something over the Clearcoat to prevent this?
I've waxed my plane every 6 months since I've had it so I'm a bit

frustrated now.

No, the problem is likely from within. A reaction between the clearcoat and
the paint result in gasses being released and causing bubbling.

There's a possibility it may not be from within. Have you ever seen auto
rims where the aluminum is corroding under the clear coat? That's usually
the result of cats and/or dogs urinating on the rims. Through a process too
long to describe here, the clearcoat separates from the rim and, in the
presence of atmospheric gasses and ammonia, occluded by the clearcoat,
causes rapid corrosion. I'm not saying cats and/or dogs are urinating on
your plane. What I am saying is that there may be compounds coming in
contact with the surface which may act in a similar fashion. Maybe the
detergent or wax.

I would suggest washing it with a mild liquid detergent and not waxing it.
The clearcoat is intended to protect the paint. It's considered sacrificial
by many professional painters. A friend owns a Bonanza and every few years
has a body shop use a mild abrasive to clean and smooth the clearcoat then
apply another coat. It's not too expensive and looks great all the time.