Old March 2nd 04, 10:38 PM
Robert M. Gary

(John Galban) wrote in message . com...
(Robert M. Gary) wrote in message . com...

If you do repaint, don't get the clearcoat. I had my plain
repainted in '97 and my paint guy strongly advised against clearcoat
for an airplane that is parked outside (even though it would have
netted him more $). He said that UV would eventually yellow the
clearcoat, then it would start to crack and peel. After talking with
several other owners who had exactly that experience, I opted to skip
the clearcoat. My plane has been parked outside in AZ for 7 years
and the paint still looks great.

I'm going to take it to a local painting place in Lincoln, CA. On the
phone they said they no longer use the old clearcoat but something
else that includes a good amount of UV protection. Of course, the
white part of the paint doesn't get anything because they can mix in
the poly-something to get teh same results.

-Robert