Old April 4th 04, 08:23 PM
Richard Kaplan

"Ben Jackson" wrote in message
news:1bZbc.179169$1p.2133112@attbi_s54...

Do the math on a few flights before you swoon for "fast". Sure, there's
a big difference between my Comanche and a C-152, but the 10-15kts I have
on a C-182 only save 10-15 minutes on a 3 hour flight.

Another consideration is that if someone plans to upgrade to other airplanes
in the future, it is very helpful to buy and build time in a retractable
airplane. An older Mooney costs about the same as a C182, but Mooney time
is more valuable from an insurer's perspective for a pilot who may step up
to other airplanes in the future.

A Turbo * isn't that fast. The book numbers look good, but you have to
fly high to take advantage. If you're "in PA" (instead of, say, CO)

The main advantage of a Turbo is not speed; it is sustained rate of climb to
altitude, which allows you to (1) operate easier at high density altitude
airports; and (2) climb higher to take advantage of tailwinds and/or get on
top of weather. Number (2) is usually not practical unless the airplane
also has known-icing and spherics equipment, which is unlikely for a first
airplane.

--
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com