Old April 11th 04, 12:19 AM
Jim Weir

If you are talking about one of those old 3/16" stainless steel whips, yes you
do need a connection between the center pin of the RF connector and the element.

You also need a ground plane directly at the base of that antenna if you are
mounting the antenna in a plastic location.

If you plan on using that antenna with a good radio, do yourself a favor and
save your friend a lot of grief by using the antenna as a doorstop. The VSWR at
the band edges with that sucker is something to behold. Remember, that antenna
was designed back in the days when 90 channels (118-127 on 0.1 MHz. spacing) was
just about airline quality.

Jim

dave

-I have a bent whip antenna that I'm about to mount in a friends Lancair
-and I'm wondering if I should see any connectivity between the center
-conductor of the BNC connector to the stainless steel element?
-
-The ohmmeter shows nothing.
-Is this thing have capacitance coupling?
-
-Thanks
-
-Dave