Old August 31st 04, 03:50 PM
Jay Masino

G.R. Patterson III wrote:
a. Replace the LORAN with an approach certified GPS.
b. Add a NARCO 121 NAV in the round hole.
c. Replace the intercom with an audio panel and MBR and replace the MBR with a NAV
unit or slim NAV/COM.
d. Something else.
As always, money's tight, so I would pick b, though c also is attractive. Your
choice? Panel can be seen at

George,
If money is really tight, I'd go with (a.), but use one of the previous
generation of IFR GPSs like the UPS AT/Garmin AT GX-50/60 or the Garmin
GNC-300XL. They'd require an external CDI like the small ones sold by Mid
Continent Instruments. It'll install in the 3 1/2" hole using an adapter
plate. I've got a GX-60, and it works just fine, even though it's not as
glitzy as the 430/530/CNX-80s. You'll get the capability you need, and
you can "chase" the leading edge of handheld GPSs, every couple of years,
to satisfy any need for a nicer moving map. With an IFR GPS, you'll have
the ability to fly to any intersection, so identifying them with dual VORs
won't be an issue.

--- Jay

--
__!__