Old September 22nd 04, 01:38 PM
Michelle P

Dave,
I suspect you have a carburated engine? I suspect it would have little
effect in a multi-point fuel injected engine.
Michelle

wrote:

Race car people dimple the inards of the intake manifold to make the
air a little bit more turbulent to help mix the gasses.
During cruise, i keep the throttle off the stops and my egt's smooth out.
I suspect for the same reason.

Dave

Dave S wrote:

So.. by adding a restriction to flow (in the form of some cute gizmo)
you are intending to INCREASE horsepower?

I recall hearing in another discussion group I participate in, that
one of these devices came apart from the suction forces in the
engine.. not what you want happening..

Dave

Gary wrote:

Just got home from work and at this time in the morning the only
thing on TV
is infomercials

So here I am watching these infomercials and on comes the one for the
Cyclone Fuel Saver. Now they claim that it improves fuel mileage and
power
output from the engine. So I was just wondering if anyone has tried
this
little device in their piston aircraft?
The theory makes sense, spinning air in the intake tract to help mix
the
air/fuel better before entering the cylinder. Now the ad says that this
works in any gasoline burning engine (and they list almost every gas
burning
engine ever invented) except the ad didn't mention aircraft. I find
this
interesting cause if it works really that good in cars, trucks,
motorcycles
ect. ect wouldn't it work just as well in a airplane?

I assume that this device hasn't been approved for use in piston powerd
aircraft yet or, maybe it just isn't as good as the makers claim!

--

Michelle P ATP-ASEL, CP-AMEL, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity