Old December 23rd 04, 08:23 PM
Don Hammer

There is rumblings in the industry in the US that the FAA is looking
at the training and licensing issues here. I think that in the
future, we will look more like Canada and Europe in the way we license
Engineers/Technicians. To this point the industry has been very
successfully in self regulating and we have had a safe system.

The big thing driving the FAA to move is the economics of commercial
airlines and repair stations and looking at recent accidents. The
ratio of maintenance to pilot caused accidents has trended up
drastically and because of the requirements for recurrent training,
pilot caused accidents have gone down. The quality of the average
airline mechanic has gone down as aircraft complexity has gone up.
From my direct experience, I see the same in large repair centers.

Having to make repairs to jets I have been involved with over the
years, I have been very impressed with our Canadian brothers.

On 23 Dec 2004 11:03:15 -0800, wrotD:

And on this side of the border, we've seen some American airplanes
that should have been shot down and scrapped. It all comes down to how
seriously the mechanic takes his responsibilities and how much pride he
takes in his work. People are people on both sides of the border,
mechanics and owners both. High standards are no guarantee of quality,
but it helps.

http://www.usenet.com