Old December 27th 04, 01:21 PM
jls

"JDupre5762" wrote in message
I believe a ball type valve from the local hardware store
would do the trick,

Quite possibly true but not a legal repair.

A look at the FAR indicates replacing the valve is not a major thing
and a 337 is not require; however, the proposed valve is not certified
for use in an a/c.

Look deeper, deeper, deeper into those FARs. Per the FARs

Per WHICH FAR? I don't know how many Taylorcrafts have automotive stuff
in them. Hell, they were built that way. They have copper plumbing and
SAE 45 degree fittings and valves and on and on. The A&P who owned a
Taylorcraft used to say, when you were changing out a part, "equal to or
better." Now THAT's in the FAR's or somewhere in advisory circulars. I've
seen it.

I know a Cub with a fuel shutoff valve from Home Depot. It's been there,
installed by an A&P, for years. And you know what? It still works.

you cannot replace a
certificated part with common hardware store parts unless those parts meet
whatever standard applies. If you were to replace the fuel shut off valve

with
something not certificated for that aircraft you would need a Form 337 to

gain
approval.

A 337 doesn't get you approved; that's for major repairs and alterations.
You would need to go running to the FSDO for approval first.

I plan on talking with the local FSDO, but until then, can someone
provide any insight into what I'm going to have to do? Thanks, Mike