Old January 21st 05, 02:06 AM
Dave

OK..

I finally got this to happen in our 172..

Practising forced approaches...was too high, - dropped 40 deg
of flap, roled hte port wing down , and put my foot to the wall..

I pitched for 60 knts indicated, and about 3-4 seconds after
it stabiized, it started..

I would describe it as a gentle oscillation of the control
yoke fore & aft, perhaps 1 inch of amplitude, frequency about once
each second.

The pitch of the aircraft seemed quite stable, the oscillation
was in the control column only. It felt as if I was "alowing" the
movement to happen, to keep the pitch of the aircraft stable...

Very gentle,but might surprise someone not expecting it.

Relaxing the rudder only slightly stopped it...

Certianly not an issue as far as contolling the aircraft.

Remember, 40 deg, wing way down, foot all the way in, dropping
like an elevator before it started oscillating.

Recovery from the slip was instantaneous, I would not hesitate
to do it any time necessary...

Dave

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 09:58:04 -0500, Dave Butler wrote:

jsmith wrote:
Check the C172 manual under EMERGENCY PROCEDURES.
Some models contain a caution/warning against slipping with 30 degrees
of flaps.

I'm quite sure newps knows that and was making the point that a caution/warning
does not a prohibition make.