Old February 2nd 05, 03:25 AM
Mike W.

Some of the coax is RG-58U, would the newer RG 400U improve things?

If the existing cables are in good condition (no kinks or cuts) it should
work, although I would guess that since the RG400U is the approved type, it
probably just has slightly better shielding qualities.

The splitter will supply two VOR recievers. Am I losing something even
though I have only one reciever plugged in? Would a splitter with only

one
GS and one VOR output help any? (I doubt it)?

If the unused outputs of the splitter are not terminated, it could cause a
problem. If the unused outputs are empty, you can try making your own
terminators with the appropriate connector (BNC, PL-259? whatever) and a 1/4
watt 47 ohm resistor, as a test.

I haven't been up on a ladder to look at the antenna but is the problem
likely to be grounding and/or corrosion? I also have not followed the

coax
all the way from the antenna to the radio so there could be connectors

along
the way, how much do you lose for each connector?

Insertion loss for connections is about 1dB, in good condition, but
corrosion may form over time, causing loss of signal. Check them out.

Mike
MU-2
Helio Courier