Old July 9th 03, 03:23 PM
Sydney Hoeltzli

I'm not really excited about buying any of the 15/20/25/30 K,XL,G
series because they seems pretty flimsy, have extraordinarily lousy
passive attenuation (read: LOUD out of active cancellation above 300 Hz),
and artificually boost the radio's voice frequencies to an uncomfortable
level. I'm sure the boosting is for "clarify" of old ears that are
already fried from 40 years of naked flying, but I'm trying to keep mine
good.

Cory,

I'm afraid I don't follow your critique of the K/XL/G series.
The radio's voice frequencies can be adjusted to any level you
like with the volume control. I have very good ears and the
level is not uncomfortable, in fact it is too low on the
minimum volume setting in our plane. If something was uncomfortable,
and turning down the volume on the headsets didn't fix it, then
perhaps the radio volume was turned up too high? We are able
to combine most headsets in our plane and find suitable settings
of intercom/radio/headset volume, but it does take a little
tweaking when a new headset comes into the mix. I'm a little
puzzled because surely you must have tried this.

You're correct about the poorer Lightspeed passive attenuation.
It's a direct function of the attraction for Lightspeed owners,
the comfort. As you probably know, good passive attenuation in
muff-style headsets is a function of ear seal, and ear seal is
a function to some degree of clamping force.

I don't find the K/XL/G series flimsy except at the poorly-
designed plug/battery box configuration. However, if you do,
I believe you would find the same to be true of the QFR series.
My previous headset was a Flightcom Eclipse, regarded by many
as flimsy, and it served me well so I think there's an issue
of how gentle one is on equipment.

If you want good passive attenuation and sturdiness, perhaps
you would prefer a set of Dave Clamps?

Best,
Sydney