Old July 22nd 03, 03:59 PM
J. Hansen

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message ...
"Peter Gottlieb" wrote in message
OK, here's one. I have heard the FAA considers "time" to be compensation.

Only if someone else is providing the time.

[ferrying a wife's friend]
Is this legal in the FAAs eyes?

As far as I know, yes. I'm not aware of any enforcement action where, with
the pilot paying the entire cost of the flight, a pilot was found guilty of
operating for compensation or hire.

Pete

There is something close. In NTSB order (EA-4791), a private pilot transported
a mechanic for a medical air transportation service to repair one of their
stranded helicopters. The owner of the company initially tried to find a 135
carrier, but was unable to find anyone available for the flight. He was
eventually refered to a private pilot by an acquaintance who operated one of
the charter services. The private pilot who offered to do the flight and pay
all costs personally. He also advised the owner and mechanic that he was not
an air charter operator. On that flight, and two other related flights, the
owner of the medical transport co. offered to reimburse him for fuel, and the
private pilot refused to accept payment.

The FAA went after him and gave him a 365 day suspension, which was then
reduced to 180 days on appeal to the law judge. Fortunately, on appeal to
the NTSB, the charges were ultimately dismissed, but obviously not without a
great deal of hardship and expense.

Jeff H., CFI-A