Old January 21st 04, 02:11 PM
Gary Drescher

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
om...
Like CJ mentioned, a fast approach speed makes it somewhat difficult
to transition to the landing phase. However, I believe that the
benefits outweigh the disadvantages.

- ATC likes it if you fly the approach faster

- Reduces the exposure time in icing conditions. At this time of year,
we can often climb above the clouds and remain there until the
approach phase. A fast approach will minimize ice accretion during
approach.

- A faster approach speed makes it possible to adjust for altitude
excursions by using elevator alone and without compromising too much
airspeed. At slower airspeeds you will have to make power adjustments.
For example, at 90 knots you will lose about 9 knots in order to climb
100 ft. At 60 knots you will lose 18 knots to climb 100 ft.

Another advantage of a faster approach speed is that it lets you glide
further in the event of engine failure. (You'd still want to slow down to
best glide speed, but you'd gain more altitude in the process.) Since you
have no choice about altitude during an ILS approach, adding kinetic energy
is the only way to increase your glide range.

--Gary